Arduino aquarium light driver

Show off your creations
xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Arduino aquarium light driver

Postby xanthic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm

I've almost completed my driver for my aquarium lights, just need to do the cut outs on the lid for the screen and buttons.

It is a Atmega328 programmed from my Arduino, running a real time clock. There are a couple of feeds for the main lights and the moon light. I made hardware debounced buttons to keep the code a bit tidier. The code ramps up/down the brightness of the light via PWM over a user-definable period. This seems to lower the stress on the fish, they are not startled by the light suddenly going on or off.

Last edited by 1 on xanthic, edited 0 times in total.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Re: Arduino aquarium light driver

Postby xanthic » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Pic actually visible now, just realised that you can only see attachments when logged in...

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 am

I really like the sound of this, I've built (or nearly) two systems for our tanks that work on a LDR to switch the lights from daytime to nighttime as the ambient light changes, thanks to a great design by Rich, cheers mate.
The only problem with this is that its affected by people coming in and out of rooms and switching lights on and off, so a system that is controlled by time would be much better.
Also I'm thinking that it may be possible to link the lights on multiple tanks to one 'base' unit either wired or maybe wireless?
Hmmmm....... :)

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:08 pm

When I get chance, I'm going to get the circuit diagram drawn up, so that this can be printed to a PCB (probably on circuits.io). You'll be able to order a board from them, then maybe drop in your own transistors if you need to up the output.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 pm

That would be very cool mate!
I may have a little foray into this myself as I'm having loads of issues with my LDR controlled circuits and also as I mentioned they're affected by people coming in and out of the rooms switching lights on and off at night!!!
Mine will probably be somewhat simplistic though, a bit like the designer...... :oops:

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I've ordered one of the PWM shields. I'll update my code to use the shield and you should then have a quick and easy way to drive your LEDs (obviously you need to buy one too! I'm sure Ben won't mind ;) )

skyfall
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:03 am

Postby skyfall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:38 pm

that sounds cool! good luck!

Return to