Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

*TUT* Wii remote LED Swap

Postby Almurray42 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello Again Modders! This is a quick tutorial I made to show y'all how to swap out the 0603 Player led's On a nintendo wii remote. Its fairly simple, But i have noticed it really hasn't been posted anywhere else. This is all my own content.

Okay so here is your standard wii remote with Blue Led's...

Flip over the wii remote and pop out the batteries.
Using a Triwing screwdriver (Or a Cleverly sized Flathead) Remove the 4 screws shown below.

Turn the wiimote onto the side, and locate the clip about 1cm from the sensor end of the remote.

Carefully pry it open with a case opener tool or screwdriver, and the other side should pop out.

Ensure that you are holding the controller face down so that you don't lose all the buttons and pull the back part of the shell off.

At the bottom of the controller you can see the 4 0603 Led's. The polarity of the leds are shown by a small trinagle on the PCB. Check out the guide on smd polarity by phenoptix if you need to know what the symols on the Led's mean.

Desolder the existing Led's using your preferred method. I use the "Floating" method where you effectively flood the LED with melted solder and pull it off the board.

Once you have removed them all ensure you know which way your Led's need to face, and begin to resolder them onto the solderpoints.

UNFORTUNATELY, As i came to solder my last led... I dropped it on the floor into my carpet, and it was my last one! *DOH*

Pop In the batteries into the back and push in the back button to test out the led's. They should illuminate as shown below.

Provided you havn't lost any Led's like I did, you can reassemble the controller and play with your chosen Led colour!

Looks like i'll be placing another order with Phenoptix again!

Anyway, I hope this guide helped you Wii fans out there, and as always feel free to ask any questions below or PM me. If you have noticed any mistakes in this tut then please let me know!

Happy modding!
Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: *TUT* Wii remote LED Swap

Postby phenoptix » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Al you're a TUT machine! Think we should be stocking trIwing drivers for opening these!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Haha! I KNow Right!? I'm on a spree :L .... I just ordered another one from hongkong but i'm always losing them so it would be a great easy thing to stock!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:02 am

Yeah, me to with the tri-wing, keep losing them in with all the rest of my screwdrivers.
Trust Nintendo to be bloody awkward!
On another note, great tutorial Al, another thing on my to-do list. Maybe one controller in one colour and one in another?

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks! Frustrating that I lost the last led, but got my new ones yesterday so I'll finish it off and show the finished product in an edit of the op. Thanks for the support!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to