Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

*TUT* Bluray Drive Replacement Guide

Postby Almurray42 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi guys, this is a quick tutorial that i made, as when i was in the PS3'ing days i had to replace my bluray drive... Anyway I struggled to find a straightforward guide so Here it is. This is all my own work, Just sayin :P

THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR THE OLD FAT CONSOLE. I can link to a Slim guide if necessary, but I do not have a slim console so I cant make a tut. Anyways enjoy, and feel free to ask any questions.*PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL NEED A TORX T10 SECURITY SCREWDRIVER TO COMPLETE THIS

First ensure your PS3 is unplugged and discharged (Give it 30 mins to drain any remaining power in the capacitors).

Locate the Void Sticker on the side of the console.

Remove the sticker and pry out the rubber plug.

Using a Torx T10 Security screwdriver remove the screw.

Slide the faceplate towards you to unlock it.

Gently Lift the faceplat up and tilt towards the rear of the console to remove.

Note the location of the screws below. Remove these with a normal crosshead screwdriver.

Please note that the screw next to the "S" in the conrer is a smaller screw so make sure it goes back there when reassembling.

Using your screwdriver or other tool, push in the clip and lift the coverplate tilting this time to the front of the console as shown below.

Below is what you should be left with. (Facing the console from the front.) On the left is the PSU (Power supply unit) And on the right is the Bluray drive.

Unclip the small clip connector into the side of the drive.

Gently lift it to the left. Take care of the strip connector underneath, and carfully disconnect before removing the drive.

Below is the drive seperated from the console.

DO NOT IMMEDIATELY CONNECT YOUR NEW DRIVE. YOU NOW NEED TO SWITCH OVER THE DRIVE'S MOTHERBOARD TO MATCH YOUR CONSOLE.

Turn over the bluray drive and unscew the corner screws. Carefull pry away the metal housing and pull off the grey casing.

When flipped back over this is what you should see.

Once again flip over the drive.

Remove the small screw shown below.

Remove the silver plate carefully and you should see this.

Unscrew the screws holding down the circuit board, and unclip the connectors at the side and front.

Your Board should look like this.

Now what you have to do is disassemble your new bluray drive in the same way, and put your old circuit board in the new drive. This is done because the board is paired to the console. Reassemble everything by doing the steps in reverse taking care to re-insert all the connectors. Power up your console and there you go! Your new bluray drive should be working!

If you have any questions or have noticed any mistakes in this tutorial please post below or PM me. Happy Modding + Repairing! :D

Al.
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: *TUT* Bluray Drive Replacement Guide

Postby phenoptix » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Superb work Al!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: *TUT* Bluray Drive Replacement Guide

Postby Almurray42 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

phenoptix wroteColonSuperb work Al!

Thanks! :) Got an old YLOD ps3 laying around waiting to be fixed, so may do a couple more tutorials soon seing as this section is so quiet!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to