stereo led lighting

This is where all car, bike, caravan and hey even boat items go for the time being
phil w
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 am

stereo led lighting

Postby phil w » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi All , new to the forum and to the world of LED lighting , I have done a lot inside my Astra with 3mmLED's & PLCC
-2 SMD LED's SMT LED PLCC2 ,These are ALL bright white with the odd red & green one, every LED has been changed in all the switches as well dasboard lighting everything except the stereo ,
This is what I'm stuck on it's the factory fit stereo with cd multi changer ,the stereo lights up a dingey horrible orange and looks realy terrible now , the lighting inside of it is with 3mm LED's with no resistors due to space I guess
maybe wrong as I say totaly new to all this ,
any way I replaced one with an SMD and it worked perfect so I went ahead and replaced a few more making sure with a meter I was putting them the correct way round ,so as with everything I do I check with the meter when soldered on and powerd up to make sure the illuminate correctly ,well now they don't :? so Iv'e checked and checked again and everything is as should be haven't got a clue :lol: ,
It wouldn't down to me using SMD's instead of LED's would it ? any and all help would be most appreciated folks :D
sorry no photo's of what I have done with the Lighting as of yet due camera lead missing lol

cheers Phil

Ps I have been speaking to one of the team on eBay about the 10mm and 5mm 12v LED's ,then realized it would be easier to speak on hear :lol:

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: stereo led lighting

Postby phenoptix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Phil, welcome to the forums! It's me (Ben) you've been talking to via eBay messaging! The problem certainly wouldn't be due to them being SMD rather than through hole. Did you say you used white LEDs to replace the orange ones? You can check that the LEDs are still working by testing them with a couple of patch leads and a phenoptix brand LED tester! Failing that get a couple of wires on 2 x AA batteries or a 3V watch battery and see if they light up from an external source. I expect they will, as what I think might be going on that your battery voltage has dropped a bit, possibly due to short journeys and the colder weather putting a bit of strain on it. It's just a guess, but the white LEDs have a higher voltage than your orange would have so they'll switch off at a lower voltage than the orange would. The stereo display on my other half's clio dies when she's just doing pottering around, but a motor way journey sorts it out!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Welcome To the forums! :)

As Ben said Its probably due to a voltage drop, But doing a few checks with your multimeter should show you what the forward voltage is being pushed at... Just a quick question, did you use Phenoptix's New Value SMD's or the high quality Ultra-Bright ones? Generally the Value Leds are for use on things with constant voltages LIke Xbox's or Ps3's or other mains powered gadgets.... Just a thought...
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phil w
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby phil w » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi Ben ,Thank you for the welcome ,
I have checked the SMD's with a pp3 battery and they all work fine testing them individualy ,
But not as they should on the board ,And yes I have replaced the orange with white SMD's ,
I don't think it's down to the voltage drop as I have a lot of SMD's and LED's in the car and they all work perfect even when the stereo is connected ,
My instrument cluster alone has 30 LEDS on strips to light up the dials they are now pure white ,you would think
they would be too bright OTT but just turned down slightly with the dimmer they look the buisness really I have got to get the camera sorted , any way straying a litte there lol it doesn't appear to be down to the voltage ,

Would I have blown a resitor on the board somehow ? as there very small maybe 3mm long black rectangle what I persume to be resistors every so often along the circuit inbetween the LED's ,
Would this be advisable if I was to link each SMD and make my own daisy chain circuit using suitible thin wire making sure its sheilded to avoid any short circuit , this is not something Iv'e tried before so if it is posible I may need a few pionters

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 pm

phil w wroteColonWould I have blown a resitor on the board somehow ? as there very small maybe 3mm long black rectangle what I persume to be resistors every so often along the circuit inbetween the LED's ,
Would this be advisable if I was to link each SMD and make my own daisy chain circuit using suitible thin wire making sure its sheilded to avoid any short circuit , this is not something Iv'e tried before so if it is posible I may need a few pionters

The small black rectangles generally would Be SMT Fuses, test out the continuity between each one and see if its all okay, if not just search SMT Fuse 0805 (Which would probably be the size)
BUT they also could be SMT resistors like you said, in which case check all the resistances are similar, again you can get small 0805 or 1206 resistors from ebay...
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phil w
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby phil w » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Almurray42 wroteColonWelcome To the forums! :)

As Ben said Its probably due to a voltage drop, But doing a few checks with your multimeter should show you what the forward voltage is being pushed at... Just a quick question, did you use Phenoptix's New Value SMD's or the high quality Ultra-Bright ones? Generally the Value Leds are for use on things with constant voltages LIke Xbox's or Ps3's or other mains powered gadgets.... Just a thought...

Hi Almurray42 thanks for the welcome ,

Like I said to Ben I don't think it's down to voltage drop due to the other LED's being fine , I used the Phenoptix's
high quality Ultra-bright Smd's ,And they are bright I'm very impresed with them in my electric window switches ect ,so hopefully will work well in the stereo bright during the day and dimed to a degree once the vehicle lights are turned on

phil w
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby phil w » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Almurray42 wroteColon
phil w wroteColonWould I have blown a resitor on the board somehow ? as there very small maybe 3mm long black rectangle what I persume to be resistors every so often along the circuit inbetween the LED's ,

The small black rectangles generally would Be SMT Fuses, test out the continuity between each one and see if its all okay, if not just search SMT Fuse 0805 (Which would probably be the size)
BUT they also could be SMT resistors like you said, in which case check all the resistances are similar, again you can get small 0805 or 1206 resistors from ebay...

Hi Al , will give them a check and see tomorow and will let you know what I find , thanks for your help much apreciated mate ,this all very new to me but with a little help I will get there lol

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm

phil w wroteColon
Almurray42 wroteColon

Hi Al , will give them a check and see tomorow and will let you know what I find , thanks for your help much apreciated mate ,this all very new to me but with a little help I will get there lol

Hi! Thats Okay, no worries! Glad to help! I may be wrong anyway as there are other Surface Mount components that look similar, but as they are on the stereo board between LED's its very likely to be resistors or fuses... Good luck!
Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phil w
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby phil w » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi Almurray42 ,
most of them checked out okay there are 4 differant numbers 000 ,102,182 and the 334's which have no reading at all , So I would say thats where the problem lies at the moment I just need to find out wether or not these are fuses or resistors ,I will take a look on eBay now see what I can find

cheers Phil

Return to