led's fitted to interior.

This is where all car, bike, caravan and hey even boat items go for the time being
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: led's fitted to interior.

Postby bigal344 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:58 pm

That'd be an idea then we can use paint and scribble on the photo! :D

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Worcestershire

Postby poppy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi again Al. Right, I have taken these 3 Images, may give you an idea..... :) lol. Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Ok, i see what you mean now, the only way i can see to fit them would be to mark out and drill a series of 5mm/3mm holes where you wanted to fit the LEDs, say on a circular pattern like so, planned first to avoid the webbing on the plastic as much as possible.
You would want to sit the LEDs in the holes at as much of a right angle to the rear lense's and glue them into place with either a hot glue gun or some silicone sealant.
Only problem i can see is how the LEDs would show through the lense, if you wnated to go this route it would pay to wire up maybe a couple of LEDs (4/5 with a resistor) and just hold them inside the lense through the bulb hole and see how they look shining through.
Something for you to consider, and this will be dependent on the gap between the back of the lense and the bulb holder, theres usually a decent gap, and you'd only need a couple of mm for the base of the LED and the edge of the wire.

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13

Postby poppy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Hiya Al. I do not know how you managed to get the pics when that damn Photobucket deleted them...grrrr. Looks quite a good idea what you have come up with.....Could i not just use the pre wired ones with the built in resistor do you think.? When you talk about adding a resistor, I am lost....eek. lol. I think that the gap between lens and bulb holder is at least a couple of inches......What i did with the lights for my interior was to file them down about 3/4 of the bulb length so that the light splayed out as opposed to a straight beam of light...I guess to achieve a circle as such though, I would have to leave them as they were...Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Ah, i copied the pics straight away the other day!!
I've had a think about it,and i think the LED's would need to be wired in parallel, a bit like this.
This pilfered image shows two LED's per line with resistor from the 12v source, yours would be one pre-wired resistor/LED combo per line, if you join up a couple of your pre-wired LED's as shownso you end up with a common positive and negative, this will allow you to temporaily connect them up to the sidelight circuit on the car and hold them inside the light lense.
I'm just a bit concerned about how the light will be reflected around the lense, could be that the solid points of light that you want from the LED will be 'washed' out by the lense unit itself.
But you'r right in saying that if it does work, you'll wnat to leave the LED's intact in place, have fun and let me know how you get on. :D

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13

Postby poppy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Hiya Al. Well, after much thought, mainly about how clever you would have to be to do this.. eek. I decided that I did not fall into that category, Soooo, I have opted for bought led bulbs..Although not Canbus friendly, (This makes my bulb warning light illuminate on my message centre) i have now decided to fit resistors to combat this..This way, I can opt for the cheaper leds as the canbus ones are £16 a pair..So, if any problems, such as a bulb blowing, it will be cheaper for me in the long term to replace them. I am now thinking of illuminating my boot instead of the led strip off eBay...ll. Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm

To be fair it does become a wee bit tricky!!
However i find myself in the situation of having a pair of old faded headlights and a cracked rear lense for my ropey ol' Astra, so i'm gonna pull them apart and have a bit of a play with some LED's and resistors, i'll keep everyone here posted when i do finally get round to it!!
Good plan with getting round the bloody canbus system, these things are great for keeping a car running and keeping you informed when something goes wrong but they don't half make our lives hard when we want to make something look cool!!
Keep us up to date with your progress and get some good photos up here! :D

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 am

The prewired LEDs make pretty good rear clusters, the bulb warning light is always a pain though! Its not really more complicated than you've done already, just taking a drill to your rear cluster! We supplied 5mm prewired to Aston Martin for their Lagonda concept in 2009. The boot lighting is fairly easy and we've got a range of strip here: LED Tape

The RGB stuff is the best of the bunch as you can of course have any colour you like!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:47 pm

phenoptix wroteColonWe supplied 5mm prewired to Aston Martin for their Lagonda concept in 2009.

Wow, thats a pretty cool claim to fame.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:24 am

It was a bit of a random phone call actually! We don't usually allow customers to collect from the office, but when they explained who they were and that they were for the Geneva Motor show we made an exception!

Return to