led's fitted to interior.

This is where all car, bike, caravan and hey even boat items go for the time being
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: led's fitted to interior.

Postby bigal344 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 pm

If you want to replace the standard bulbs with leds you could do something along the lines of http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=308, it shows quite nicely how to lay out leds in an on/off or all on format, the challenge would be to make a layout board that would fit inside the light housing, probably the easiest way to do this would be to get hold of a old light from ebay or a scrappy and have a play.
After you have your layout you'd need to run the power from the sidelight and brake light electrical circuit into your new led setup, with any relevent resistors in line.
With this you could make a square formation as shown in the other topic or make a round layout with sides around the outside and brake being all of the leds.
Hope this helps as a starting point!

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Worcestershire

Postby poppy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Hiya Al. Thanks for the reply to my question.I was basically thinking if I could fit leds in whatever formation I liked straight to the back lights or brake light circuit.? Still leave the normal bulbs in, just accompanied by leds....I am not very technical as you may have gathered. lol. Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Ah, neither am i really just alot of reading up and googling and talking to the helpful guys at phenoptix!!
I see no reason that you couldn't fit LEDs in whatever pattern as long as you can psychically access the rear of the light housing, i know some cars have the bulb holder directly behind the actual cluster.
Once you know that the LEDs will actually fit you'll just need to carefully drill holes and fix them in place, either using the led holders from Phenoptix or maybe just gluing them in place, depends really on how many you want to fit and in what configuration, it may still pay to pick up an old light from ebay and have a play first.
If i get time tomoro i'll have a look see if i can give you a rough idea of how to wire them in, although one of the more 'cleverer' people on here may jump in first!!
You should be able to just take a feed from whichever circuit you want, it'll just be a case of figuring out what resistors you'll need to use from the 12v supply in a car.

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13

Postby poppy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi again Al. What would I do without you.. lol Hm, me thinks I am going to have a go at this, I have an old back light that i can play with.....Do not the small leds that i have recently bought have built in resistors.? Any advice from anyone on this project would be most welcome. Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Ha, no worries, thats what we're all here for, sharing and caring..... :lol:
If the resistors you bought are something like this, http://www.phenoptix.com/index.php/prewired.html, then you are indeed correct and they come with the resistors already in place, so you should be good to go.
Although i wonder wether you would need a resistor on each LED,or for that matter wether it would hurt at all, i would imagine that your best bet would be to use these pre-wired LEDs as they are, linked together and powered from the respective light/brake circuit, and grounded to the chassis.
Let us know how you get on, and if i find any more info i'll let you know.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I found this just now and it shows a rear light build on a Supra, they appear to have used a resistor for most of the LED's, although I don't envy the task of drilling all the 0.6mm holes!!

http://www.internetwork.org.uk/ledrear/ledrear.htm

Ignore the ad at the bottom as i wouldn't condone buying LED's from anywhere other than my good friends @phenoptix! :roll:

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Hey Poppy, hows the plan going have you had a chance to look into it anymore yet?

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13

Postby poppy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Hiya Al. I have just taken a look at the Supra... Fantastic... But I think I would have a bit more of a problem than that..Those lights being round look a lot easier to do than mine.. I have had the rear light out..You have the lens and at the back a plastic part which incorporates the 4 bulb holders..So in essence, there is no way to get into the lens if you know what i mean.? The only way looks is to actually buy LED rear bulbs..A bit of a bummer really ..grr. lol. Poppy

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 pm

I think i know what you mean Poppy, bit busy tonight but leave it with me and i'll do a little bar mat type sketch of what i'm thinking.
Just makes sure that we're on the same page, and you did want to keep the standard rear bulbs (stop/tail etc) and have your own additional stop/tail leds alongside those bulbs, bit like the new Audi's have on the front headlights.

poppy
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 13

Postby poppy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Hiya Al. Yes, something like that....I have the circuit board and bulb holders to which all the bulbs are attached and they fit into the holes in the lens.....I will have to take a pic, probably best so you can then see what i mean. lol. Poppy

Return to