vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Reindeer Head in Ply and Acrylic

Postby vimes79 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm

You have found yourself a nice little gap in the market / side line with your Reindeer heads..
During a break last night I showed some of the guys I work with the photos you put up of both the finishes, the original photos and the ply one with the red nose led you added and they all LOVED them!!!

I have 2 guys (one of which is my boss) who would both like to have one (One Ply one to be used a an Xmas decoration for a front room and one Acrylic one for my boss who also wants to do the same as me and mount a ThingM BlinkM or similar behind it facing upwards through as many edges as possible and he came up with a sweet idea for how to mount the programmable RGB 10mmx10mm board in place with but have it so the BlinkM can be pulled without any dismantling, then plug into an Arduino (or the official ThingM I2C or cloned I2C Programmer) and change the colour settings with the Windows or Linux ThingM application, I think he plans to add it to his office wall and have it up all year round, he has a load of stuff in his office that he tweaks and hacks when not out on sites (He is a major Arduino nut and was the one who introduced me to the lovely 'duino...)

As for the clear acrylic one I am hoping you will sell me, I have a sweet plan now to use a BlinkM as previously stated, pointing upwards slightly to illuminate as many panels as possible (they have a nice wide angle) but have it powered through and setup with one of my Electric Imps (all mounted in a small plastic housing with a 4 pin female header protruding just 1mm or so to hold the BlinkM board in place by its 4 male pins and feed it power and data changes) so I can log on to any PC, go to the browser and log into the Imp Cloud and send the commands via mobile network to internet to Imp Cloud then run the program set for that pin set or just use it as a simple turn on or off. Doing the changing colour rotations of the RGB lighting is a bit trickier but the Imp Cloud is perfect as you can store you program data there and hit one button to launch a chosen routine or program, there is even an Android app (And alot in development) that's made for simple On/Off commands to different pins on the Imp via Mobile 3G and standard GSM). Pretty useless as I live alone with my dog (yes a real dog - a Jack Russell), but hey its still a cool build and its the theory that counts.

So anyway as I was saying, that's 3 definite orders from me 2x Acrylic and 1x Ply (That's if you are even wanting to make them of course)
If you literally only want to do a few then stick me in for one for sure but it would be cool to get those two in for the guys at work, especially my boss as he is a damn wizard with electronics and will come up with something awesome for it. As I say both would just want the cut pieces to put together and do their own thing with, same as me.

Its amazing how a little idea and a bit of toying with your laser cutter and a posted photo generates such a buzz... I am seriously looking forward to making one up, even though I know I could most likely just buy something similar, the ones you have done just have something a little bit awesome about them... And they are perfect for getting a perfectly tweaked lighting setup hooked up to it and finally get to use one of my 4 BlinkM's and one of my 2 Imps and Board...

This is where I really wish I owned a Laser cutter!!

I guess the questions that need asking are :
If you are planing on selling some to us forumites and facebookers then do you have a rough price idea yet? I know you only came up with them a few days ago, but I can see these doing well one a few pics are up of what some of us do with them!
And of course are you going to limit sales, I suppose just having to make them will add a limit to them as I guess these must take a while to setup and cut - I don't know how quick your cutter is.

Anyway, keep us posted. I really just wanted to let you know there is some interest and if you want them then there are 3 orders guaranteed and it looks like some more here from other users. Im pretty sure if I get one and set it up and show some of the guys at work and a few friends I have, that I can get you a few more ordered.

Sorry this was only meant to be a short post but I got carried away as usual.

Cheers
Last edited by 1 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm

I would take 1 Acrylic if you do make them,
I would mount it on a hollow shield shaped backboard with some small drilled holes in fitted with the LED's so I could hide the battery, wires and LED's. Nice simple and quick plus my daughter ( full blown tomboy, she has a camouflage room and collects faulty PCB's) would love it as a night light.

Keeping it simple with a choose of LED's could turn it into a great seller then point people here for the ideas to mod them as they like and as vimes79 said the possibilities are endless
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Howdy chaps, you all talked me into it! New product here: http://www.phenoptix.com/products/laser-cut-deer-reindeer-rudolph-head
Use the code Merry for 30% off for your forum folks!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Did we twist your arm lol I will order one when I get paid

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 pm

LOL. Ordered mine.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:05 pm

3 Lovely flat packed Reindeer arrived this morning safe and sound!
Have put my acrylic one together and now working out the plan for lighting - Am thinking two Red SMD LED's sunk in with my dremel facing into the cuts on the back, held on with a dollop of Sugru or Super glue. Red Nose from one of the 10mm Red LED's I also got yesterday from here for the red nose and just powered by a simple coin cell battery. Then the Red back lighting connected with some superfine wire I have to find a suitable little project box for all the electronics to go into and which I will attach one of my many programmable BlinkM RGB to the top of the box facing up to the head at a slight forward or backward angle (which ever works best) then just for fun connect the 2 back lighter LED's and the BlinkM to one of my Electric Imps in the basic breakout board so all lighting (except for the nose) is controllable through any computers web-browser via the Imp Cloud.

Im also toying with the idea of using one of 3 ultra tiny 3M range PIR sensors I bought earlier in the year for a project that never got started, connected to a sounding device so it plays jingle bells or something when you walk past it!

Am also thinking of maybe even going to town a little on it and make it a bit sinister and add some interactivity but I think the design is too small and being clear, isnt the best candidate for what im thinking of, maybe I will come up with something to use as the main body to house some electronics for an interactive wall mounted piece once the custom laser cutting ordering is available and use some coloured Acrylic to hide wiring and other bits.

Anyway, the reindeer are awesome, if you haven't ordered one yet, then get on it and get the best Handmade (by laser cutter) Xmas decoration available for 2012 only from Phenoptix!!!
Last edited by 1 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm jealous ;) I should be ordering next week, I've got an idea but would you be so kind and tell me the size of the back bit that attaches to the wall as I want to make a backboard, I've been told if they look good some of my friends would like one.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:28 am

We decided that the Ply model should stay in our office as we had just the place for it. Spent a few mins adding a 10mm Red LED to the front of the nose piece and creating a simple stiff wire switch attached to a resistor and a 3v Button cell all taped neatly in the front section behind the nose so it is nearly completely out of view but is still easy to switch on and off with the home made paperclip switch.

The finished thing looks good, the Red LED is just the right brightness, even though the pics I took make it look like the Sun is attached! It is just my camera on my phone using low light settings as I was playing around with it the other day, set it all up with manual settings and never changed it back to auto.
I understand that some of the women (and guys) who work in the office have some ideas to pimp him up a bit (I will post once they have finished their creative streak)

The 1st Clear acrylic went to my boss who is going to have a crack at making it the ultimate light up reindeer. I know he has a bunch of low power but still quite bright mini laser diodes in Red, Green and Blue (he bought 5 each of from a Chinese based eBay store earlier in the year for a stupidly small amount of money) and lasers make a great light show when pointed fixed into the cut edge of Acrylic, glass and plastic, like the LED acrylic glow effect x100. I don't even want to think what he has in mind, but im sure it will be pretty sweet.

Mine is together but had nothing else done yet as am using every bit of spare time I have here and there to get the IoT Fortune Cookie printer finally finished off and written up and also been trying to make some time to get a prototype ready for my RGB Twitter/Email/IM announcer block (Attiny45 based USB RGB Led announcer mounted in Polymorph plastic (Got fed up waiting for the Blink(1) to be released so built my own).
Once I get the time I have some ideas for mine but haven't decided which yet. I could go crazy and make it into a 'Chris Eckert' inspired person/movement tracker by mounting it on a 2 servo robotic elbow I have along with 3x mini PIR's I also have and then add some sinister eyes with LED's and maybe even throw a simple sounder into it.
OR more likely throw a red nose on it like the ply model (but neater inside) and stick to the original plan of using a super bright ThingM BlinkM RGB Led colour system on a nice winter themed colour loop of 5 mins...

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Looks cracking. I'm wondering what a sanded/etched acrylic one would look like lit up...

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:09 am

xanthic wroteColonLooks cracking. I'm wondering what a sanded/etched acrylic one would look like lit up...

After playing with various lighting options and looking at how other Acrylic models are lit up it seems the best way is to etch fine lines into the body (There is a name for this but I cant remember it and cant find the site where I found it).
Another good effect like you said is to etch the main parts you want to light up, so in this case all the forward facing discs would be etched (you would need thicker acrylic to be used to make up for the amount stripped by the laser) and then those panels would catch and difuse alot more of the coloured light.
The best way to light them up is with bright coloured transparent acrylic (Green, Blue, Orange, Red, etc...) then using the best high power UV or White/Blue/Green (depending on the acrylic colour and the effect you want to achieve) colour LED's for the acrylic used (piranhas work well), For example orange reacts best to green LED light. Obviously UV Led's are going to give the brightest and bolder colours but other colours do produce some nice effects ie: Blue High Brightness LED's on Certain Green's looks pretty awesome, its more of a trial and error thing with coloured LED's, UV would be best for sure.

That's what I have read in a few places anyway. Clear isn't ideal for lighting up but I think with these reindeer it wouldn't of looked right with coloured acrylic.

I will look into that technique that uses very fine lines cut a certain amount into the clear acrylic and see if I can find some examples.

Return to