Reindeer Head in Ply and Acrylic

Show off your creations
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Reindeer Head in Ply and Acrylic

Postby phenoptix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:29 pm

I'd seen these about a bit this year and wanted to build one. After some google searching and tinkering this is what I came up with...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34513

The acrylic version doesn't hold together as well as the ply one so I'll have to reverse the slots on the back.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: Reindeer Head in Ply and Acrylic

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Is that a clear one as well? If it is you could put some LED's in and make it glow at night. I'm well impressed with them, nice work

EDIT...... Yep it is, I should read it all before I post
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 am

Awesome! Would look great with one of my high power ThingM BlinkM's at the back projecting light forward in a nice wintery warm colour fade pattern.
Any plans to knock a few out for sale?
You should set a link up so Phenoptix followers can buy one from you (1 per person maybe?), I would buy one for sure, they look sweet and certainly have modding potential.

Out of interest which laser cutter do you have? What is the thickness limits on Acrylic and Ply? What else will it cut well (except fingers)?

You really should set up an ordering system so customers can order custom runs of bits and bobs that you cut for them, they send you the design files, you send them back a price inc materials or excluding if they are supplying them, and labour etc and then if agreed you cut and send. If a mistake is made on the cut due to the CAD files having a mistake in then the customer is liable.
I would think it would be a nice little side line...
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am

vimes79 wroteColonAwesome! Would look great with one of my high power ThingM BlinkM's at the back projecting light forward in a nice wintery warm colour fade pattern.
Any plans to knock a few out for sale?
You should set a link up so Phenoptix followers can buy one from you (1 per person maybe?), I would buy one for sure, they look sweet and certainly have modding potential.

Out of interest which laser cutter do you have? What is the thickness limits on Acrylic and Ply? What else will it cut well (except fingers)?

You really should set up an ordering system so customers can order custom runs of bits and bobs that you cut for them, they send you the design files, you send them back a price inc materials or excluding if they are supplying them, and labour etc and then if agreed you cut and send. If a mistake is made on the cut due to the CAD files having a mistake in then the customer is liable.
I would think it would be a nice little side line...

Think I suggested something like that when they first got the cutter but it was aimed more at xbox case cutting but something like this would sell.

With a clear one I would mod it with some LED's and put a time delay on it and have it for a night light in the kids rooms.

Other possibilities could include making an ir remote so you can cycle though different colours and have preset colour programmes.
You could package it with all/some of the above and have a fun jigsaw/electronics project for learners/kids (with help from adults)/ or anyone that likes it.

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

dec0y7 wroteColon
Think I suggested something like that when they first got the cutter but it was aimed more at xbox case cutting but something like this would sell.

With a clear one I would mod it with some LED's and put a time delay on it and have it for a night light in the kids rooms.

Other possibilities could include making an ir remote so you can cycle though different colours and have preset colour programmes.
You could package it with all/some of the above and have a fun jigsaw/electronics project for learners/kids (with help from adults)/ or anyone that likes it.

I think having a custom laser cutting service would be so awesome, I think it would be a good sell and from looking at a few similar sites that do this service it seems to be a flat fee based on 4 or 5 different max overall lengths of cut. It is certainly a service I would use and im sure a few others that shop here would too. Heck I could think of 4 or 5 things straight away I want cut from coloured acrylic. Im sure all of us would love to own our own laser cutter but due to the fact that they are priced and designed for businesses and studios/workshops etc we will never be able to own one, also where I am we have no hacker/maker spaces to go so mail order is the only option.
If people submitted designs from Google Sketch Up or something similar then it would keep it nice and simple.
Maybe even have it so if someone wants a run of over 3 copies then they will need to have a single prototype cut first and sent out to them to ensure everything is correct.

With regards to the reindeer... I must have one! They are so awesome and as Dek0y says, with a timed LED setup it would look great. I have a few of the ThingM BlinkM's and a few Shiftbrites and either of those would light the clear one up a treat by mounting the tiny PCB with the light facing forward at the back so the fairly wide angle RGB Led shines through the model and illuminates the pieces as the light hits the cut edges of each bit and acts like a prism, I have been playing around this morning with a BlinkM and my new acrylic mini printer case Ben made up for me and adding a couple of pieces of my Pi case to test different angles and it does work really well even in the day. You could even mount a Red 3528 SMD Led around the nose area with some super fine wire carefully run to it for a "Rudolph Nose"...
It would be so cool to be able to buy one and put it up in the front room for Xmas (and beyond no doubt)...

IR remote and such would be cool (I have a remote handset and receiver set that would do the trick) but would add more circuitry, which I guess is ok if your planing on building something to house it all in. The thing that crossed my mind is my Electric Imp mini Wifi/MCU, I have been waiting for a project to come along to give it them a good testing running LED Colour sequences through a Square 4 pin RGB connected to the simple "April" Dev board/Socket made by Sparkfun that I have.
I have 2 Imp's and 2 Aprils and they are pretty cool bits of kit for setting up automated systems and browser controlled remote systems. Check them out here : http://electricimp.com/ and the breakout : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11400 I asked one of the guys at adafruit about these the other day as they said back in September that they were working on a board with more features, not just the basics, and he said they should be ready and on sale pretty soon and to keep checking back.
They are very small and have everything you would need on board, just need to be setup on the wifi network then add power and program through a browser to a cloud system. I have had these a couple months but not had any where near the time to do more then a few simple programs with LED's in a sequence and a couple of motor and servo trials. This would be a good time to try one out over a period of time to see how they perform when running 24/7.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Righto fellas, some thinking to do on these and pricing! As well as a laser cutting service.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Sweet! If you need any help, feedback or ideas then bounce them off us small group of techies, there may only be a few of us here on the forums but we all seem to have ALOT of ideas, suggestions and of course feedback on YOUR ideas just like you give us for stuff we come up with or when you help us out by ordering in things we suggest or request.
As I have said before, it would be cool to have a central place for discussions on ideas, builds, help with projects and just generally shooting the breeze. At the moment everything is kind of spread around here, Your Facebook Site, Twitter Pages and Google+ Site.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Cloud based operation....... I looooove it

The cutting service could have come in handy when I was doing the cases as I could have has the plexi cut to size/shape

Sounds like a good starter as endless possibilities.

As I have said before, it would be cool to
have a central place for discussions on
ideas, builds, help with projects and just
generally shooting the breeze. At the
moment everything is kind of spread
around here, Your Facebook Site, Twitter
Pages and Google+ Site.

Good idea as I do all the above
and as always happy to help in anyway I can

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:40 pm

On a side note, I know it my sound paranoid but if we as a collective (resistance is futile....borg) do have ideas that in the future that you decide to run with, would it be worth having a closed part of the forum that only we (ones involved) could see, my thinking for this is so others can't see them and steal the ideas and make money from them. If you don't run with any of the ideas then post them on the open site for everyone to use, edit or mod them self.

And of cause any ideas I have or help with are yours to keep and do with as you need........ Just saying

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Interesting - I can see where you are coming from given the recent MakerBot issues.

Return to