Show off your creations
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: My take on the Aquarium Light!

Postby bigal344 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 am

Awesome badge, think I've earned that several times!
The box has been stuck together roughly with hot glue, for proving purposes. Once I'm ready I'm using aquarium sealant, probably with a corner brace or two for strength.
I've just started with the final board using the adafruit proto-board, which are very neat looking. :D

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

ps3xpert
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Postby ps3xpert » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm

U-pol make a polyeurethane panel sealant called "tiger seal" It reall is amazing stuff and dries to a semi flexible, water proof compound, Its one pack, air drying in a tube like silicone, But on steroids!!!! Comes in black, light grey and white and really will stick anything to anything! Get it from most automotive paint suppliers or its on ebay for around £8 inclusive p+p.

I'm not affiliated to u-pol in anyway, Just through experience it sticks like the proverbial s#@t to a blanket and will easily assemble anything like this box (even a right angles) :D

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for that mate, I may give that a look. I know that the aquarium sealant is pretty strong, but doubt that it will be as strong as this stuff.
I think I'm probably going to use at least one mechanical through fixing for this, as the electrics (albeit low voltage) is stored in the box, and so I really don't want any of that coming into contact with water, just in case like! :roll:

ps3xpert
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Postby ps3xpert » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 pm

There is a panel sealant from u-pol called tiger seal. it comes in black, white and light grey. It is a one pack airdrying adhesive that will seriously stick anything to anything. I was a commercial mechanic and we used to use it to glue the side panels onto coaches! Its on ebay for around £8 or is available from any automotive paint retailer.

It will easily construct plastic boxes similar to this, Even a right angles.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Nothing much has been going on on this (or indeed any!) project at the moment due to work (12hrs, 6 days a week :cry: ) for the last couple of weeks due to workload and other people having holidays.
Although now things are getting back to normal hopefully I'll be back on it and have it up and running, its so close!!

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 am

That's an almighty work load Al! I've been busy with the business, holiday and selling our house. Got a tip for you if you're still thinking about selling yours too by the way.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Think its all caught up with me this week mind!
Just looking forward to getting my head back into a project or two asap! ;)
I'm always open to a bit of advice, despite having got nothing done on the house for a couple of weeks now! :cry:

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Well the circuit board turned out very nicely and quite neat I think.

And all mocked up with some wires for power, LDR's and outputs for the LED's.

So I started preparing the plate that was going to hold the LEDs, I ran a cutter along the plate to give a recessed area for the piranha's to sit in ,I then drilled out the holes for them.

The LED's were fixed in place with copious amounts of aquarium sealant to ensure a good watertight seal.

Once in place all the positive daytime (warm white) LED's were connected up, with a resistor per 3.
The night (blue) LED's were connected together with a resistor per 2.
Despite there being a hot glue gun in this picture the enclosure was stuck together with aquarium sealant, I figured that if its good enough to hold tanks together it should hold this together.
The hot glue gun was used to make a temporary joint to hold everything in place whilst it set.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Looks good. :) I wish I'd been able to make a custom lid for my tank, but would have been a bit expensive :(

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am

i know what you mean, even a simple small build like this would have cost a few quid if I hadn't been able to scrounge loads of bits from work, the next one is going to need to be considerably larger!!

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere near as many pictures as I should have done of the final assembly as I was to busy getting on with it!!
However I removed the wires from the original switch on the aquarium lid and wired in my power from the transformer, the Adaffruit board mounted quite nicely on one of the posts that originally held the light fixture.

On this photo you can just about see one of the LDR's that I fitted flush with the lid by drilling a stepped hole and hot gluing them in place. The second on is just under the side of the Adafruit board and can't be seen here.

Return to