Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Emergency light.

Postby Rich » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Be carefull if you're messing about with the mains.

The circuit is on long term test.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: Emergency light.

Postby bigal344 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 am

Thats quite a clever little device, looks fairly simple to make as well. What made you design this? Lousy power supply or bored moment? ;)

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Thu May 24, 2012 1:01 am

I was sat watching TV one night and suddenly the power went off to the whole street, it went absolutely pitch black, like what I would imagine it to be like having your eyeballs removed ha ha. Anyway before I had chance to start fumbling about my iPod nano lit up across the other side of the room, it had been on charge on its throne. I thought "that was handy" and an idea was born. Took me about 2 years to do anything about it though.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:11 pm

From previous experiences of power cuts, even built up areas get very dark without any lights at all! Its amazing how you forget where furniture and stuff is, even in your own house!
:shock: :shock:

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:51 am

If the latest design works long term I think I'll incorporate a light sensor so it doesn't come on if there is a power cut during the day. This circuit could then be fitted in say a digibox recorder (because these things are usually on all the time) and only come on if there is a power cut whilst it is being watched at night.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:37 am

Just got some LDRs in to play with, let me know if you want one to work into your design!

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Still working OK :-)

I'm changing the battery to a 9v PP3 for convenience. The 200 ohm resistor can stay the same as its a bit too big for 6v anyway. The LED will run at 25ma at 9v

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Just put this together and it works ok so far, will be able to set it up better at night. With the battery not being rechargeable it's a good idea not to come on during the day, so the output of the original circuit is fed into a circuit that just turns on the LED if it's dark.

The 1uf electrolytic capacitor isn't in circuit as it's not come yet, instead i'm using 4 x 100nf in parallel. When i changed the battery to 9v the higher voltage was just starting to switch on the transistor between the mains cycles, so i guess the 1uf one will work ok.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 pm

It's now on one PCB and the 1uf capacitor is in circuit. The LDR is on the left and the switch in the middle just disconnects the battery. I'm going to put it under the tv on top of the digibox, it will plug in behind out of sight.

Return to