Ikea Amiga Computer Build

Forum for PC Mods, featuring some of our sponsored mods.
gmjhowe
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Ikea Amiga Computer Build

Postby gmjhowe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey everyone,

There are plenty of forums that I could post my WIP log. However I decided on this one after meeting Ben at showing him around Nottinghack.
Eventually the build instructions will go on instructables as well!

So recently I have been very much getting back into my hobby of Amigas. Yep, as in the 1980's popular computer. I wanted a nice spacious case that I could fit both classic hardware, as well as fitting in modern day PC hardware for emulation and next gen amiga stuff.

Here are a few pics showing the build so far. The main frame is made from oak veneered wooden sections from Ikea.

Let me know what you think, this is my first scratch build so far. Only modded upto this point.
Jake

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: Ikea Amiga Computer Build

Postby dec0y7 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm

looking nice so far and thanks for sharing.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Jake, welcome to the forums! Great idea with the chair legs, makes a really sweet looking case from the outset. So much of my youth was spent sat in front of an Amiga so I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

gmjhowe
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Postby gmjhowe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks! I am pretty chuffed with how it look so far, the key will be to finish it off nicely. I am working out the internal layout now. I have a Mini-itx board to start off with, but want it to be compatible with a full size motherboard. Having not got any full size motherboards to hand, it makes the job a little more difficult.

I also need to get a full size ATX power supply, all of mine are small form factor. Nothing super powerful, just enough to run the current hardware, and get the sizes right, with potential to upgrade in the future.

I do however have some copper wire coils off the back of a couple of CRT's that I am thinking of intergrating into the case for aesthetic reasons.

Hoping to at least get a PSU from the Hackspace tonight!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am

looking good mate, cant wait for the next update
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

Alonso8100
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Postby Alonso8100 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:14 am

Pretty cool idea...
I like it...Thanks for sharing this....

Giobaldi
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 am