Feedback for Product: phenoptix - RGB LED Arduino Shield - b

This forum is for additional product information and requests for additional information.
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Feedback for Product: phenoptix - RGB LED Arduino Shield - b

Postby phenoptix » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm

This topic is for feedback on our product: phenoptix - RGB LED Arduino Shield - by Re-Innovation

First Edition Build:

SMD IC is a bugger to solder - we'll look into reflowing these pre-sale.

Capacitor orientation on silk screen, maybe even resistor values as it's easier than R1 etc.

Voltage jumper covered by voltage regulator - potential for shorts? Should we ship with extra pins for changing voltage? Voltages should be on silkscreen.

Power block - terminals good or should we go for a 2.1mm barrel?

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Feedback for Product: phenoptix - RGB LED Arduino Shield

Postby xanthic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Regarding the barrel jack - Is the output of the shield 3 x 1.5 A or just 1.5? You might not easily get a 5 A supply with a barrel jack if it's the former?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Should be good up to 4.5V but 3V is probably more sensible. I've had 5A with 2.1mm jacks on before, if remember rightly I hacked the jacks off to use screw terminals!

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I'll have a play. Will try not to cook this one ;)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Well now you've only got 4-5V going to the Arduini you stand a better chance! Get the bootloaders on the chips ok?

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Yes, I've built the AVR programmer and it works. Still flakey under Fedora though. Might have to get Windows running again for uploading :roll:

nexmaster
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby nexmaster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Some way of remapping the data input pins on the shield would be good. I was planning to use this with a xino board, where pin 8 is used to switch the inbuilt XRF module on and off.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into that for the next revision. Probably via the parallel pin rows method used on most adafruit shields.

cearnsh
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 am

Postby cearnsh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

Reconfigurable data pins to avoid address conflicts would be good. I'm having to use a go-between shield for compatibility with the Sparkfun USB host shield.

I also have a question about the power supply from the RGB LED shield to the host and other shields. For example, the USB shield requires additional power in order to work correctly, e.g. by connecting the RGB shield 12V input to Vin header pin. This appears to work OK (nothing's blown up yet!). Would you expect any problems with this configuration? If not, could there be a jumper on the RGB shield to allow Vin to be powered for systems which need it?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Should be a simple enough fix for the reconfigurable pins, just allowing a for dirty great jumper wires and not actually connecting seems to be the most popular fix, along with breaking out all of the pins next to the stackable headers. Will add that for sure. Has anyone chained them at all? Was thinking that the next revision would be a WS2811 rather than the WS2801 which would make chaining far easier

Return to