Solar voltage control

This forum is for additional product information and requests for additional information.
xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Solar voltage control

Postby xanthic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 pm

I was looking at the solar panels here and was wondering what the best way to regulate the voltage was, say if I had two in series and wanted to cap at 12V? I thought about a LM7812, but they are limited on current. How would I pass 12v at 2 A?

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Solar voltage control

Postby vimes79 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 am

I have actually been thinking about this too the last few days as I have been testing two different sized panels stocked here (100x80 and 180x80) and want to use several of the 180x80mm (which kicks out an amazing amount of voltage and current) in series to a project but need to regulate voltage obviously as they do fluctuate wildly. If anyone has ideas or knows then please post. I will have a look round the net tomorrow as some of the Electronics modders/hackers forums as it is most likely documented in one of them somewhere.. I will post any findings here and if you can let me know if you find any info, Xanthic then that would be great.
The panels stocked here are either made or just distributed by Seeed, they will be my first port of call. Im guessing your looking at something larger? but the principle remains the same.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Solar voltage control

Postby phenoptix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Usual method is to use a lipo battery an charger unit. Charge the bats from the solar and run your component from the bats, 2a might be a bit of a draw though. Still worth a look
http://http://phenoptix.com/products/adafruit-usb-liion-lipoly-charger-v1-2
Handles up to an amp, Seeed on might be a bit beefier.

Return to