Led kit?

This forum is for additional product information and requests for additional information.
Vector
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Mon May 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Led kit?

Postby Vector » Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 pm

I asked this question on ebay in regards to your prewired led's. I am completely useless with this kind of thing so I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a complete kit I need so its just like plug and play? I would need them connected to a battery box, not a mains power source. I dont even know what else I'd need besides the prewired led's, do they just attach straight onto a battery box and thats it or is there more required to power them properly? I really have no idea, best for me would be to buy the entire thing already done for me so all I need to do is flick the power switch on and they work. Any chance of that? I cant find anything on ebay like this. I was told to ask on here about it

I am wanting some blue led's as I am making Vector's gas mask from Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City. This is how its meant to look

I got some blue EL wire as its simple to use but its nowhere near bright enough, its dim enough in the dark, in daylight you wouldnt even know its on. I want it to be pretty bright like that pic. Also you can see the coiled wire through the lenses while you shouldnt be able to so I think led's is the best option for lighting this. Problem is I have no idea how to work with led's. Theres no way I can go the soldering route so I need prewired ones but Im not even sure where to go with them from there. I need help with this and would buy a full kit if possible so its easiest for me to use. I would guess to use 2 led's per lens so I'd probably need 4, depends how bright they are through the blue window tint etc

Thanks for any help

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Led kit?

Postby phenoptix » Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 pm

You know what, we could make an awesome kit for that, are you ok to solder? If not we could knock something up for you anyway. It would use 2 xhttp://www.phenoptix.com/index.php/circuit-boards-and-kits/spotlight-kit-mr16-single-colour.html and a 9V battery clip (possibly two). How would £20 sound?

Also shows how my world has changed. I was a massive resident evil fan, but when I saw Vector I thought of this guy

Fatherhood eh?

Vector
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby Vector » Wed May 30, 2012 4:53 pm

I have no idea how to solder no.. If it could just be made as simple as possible for me then Im fine with that. That looks like it'd be better than just 2 led bulbs per lenses, Im sure you have more of an idea what would work best than I do. Only problem might be how to fit that behind the lenses so I can still see out of the mask, even if minimal so I can at least see where I am. Could you make that work for me so I dont really have to do anything with it? Plug and go is about my skill level.. :P £20 is fine with me if it gets the job done and isnt any work for me that I dont know how to do. Are those led's really bright?

I've not been sure at all what would be best for this as actually fitting them into the mask wouldnt be that easy. My friend suggested this last night: http://www.oznium.com/led-angel-eyes I really dont know what would work best for both the look I want and being able to actually fit it. You know alot about this stuff while I have no idea so whatever you think would work best. I can get a shot of the inside of my mask if it is of any help

Yes that Vector is cool too :P

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Hmmm, I hadn't considered you having to see! What size are the eye holes?

Vector
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby Vector » Wed May 30, 2012 5:23 pm

Yeah thats the only problem. Brightness of the led's im not bothered about, could wear sunglasses if I have to its just the issue if they have to be physically in front of me so I cant see past it. Heres a few pics inside it

The rubber mouth piece can be moved out of the way, I dont really see any other area of fitting anything to besides this and the plastic ring around the lenses unless something small is maybe custom made to fit to the side of the mask.. I dont know. Its ok if something has to be in front of me, as long as its small enough so I can still see around it or under it, even just a little bit so Im not completely blind

I measured between the inside of the lenses, its around 75mm (up to the plastic ring) Including the whole plastic ring its around 90mm

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:42 am

Sorry for the delayed reply on this. You've not been forgotten. Have you made any progress yourself?

Vector
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby Vector » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

No I still dont have a clue how to do this. I have finished the mask though otherwise

All it needs is the lighting to finish it off. I could maybe come up with something if I knew anything about led's but as I have no experience what so ever with them I really dont know how to make this work..

Vector
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 5

Postby Vector » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 pm

I got some el wire from the US in super bright as most people use this for theirs, some look really bright yet mine is still dull.. This is how it looks with that

and thats with the curtains almost completely closed just to be able to see it at all. I want something alot brighter and preferrably light up the whole lenses like in the first pic I posted rather than just a circle of wire. If you dont have any other ideas yet then I might just try prewired led's and see how it looks (maybe the wide angle ones) What else would I need for them to work, just the prewire led and attach to battery box? I want to learn how to work with led's cause I'd use them for alot of things, Im just a noob right now though

Return to