modding a pre-made LED thumbstick kit

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
wretched
Harmless
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:12 am

modding a pre-made LED thumbstick kit

Postby wretched » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:27 am

Hello!

I am new to modding, and was wondering if it's possible to salvage the thumbstick parts of one of those pre-made colour changing LED kits (where the thumbstick lights are in rings and once soldered on they cycle through the colours) and wire them directly to the board.

I basically want to remove the colour changing function and force it to be one colour - I thought this would be easier than drilling a hole to stick in the bigger LEDs but maybe not?
I've found a thread that points to where to draw power from but am unsure of how to proceed or what I should be connecting to - or calculating as far as resistance.

I plan on lighting the inside of the shell and thought this would be a good starting point, as I've already done the ROL :D

This is what I have currently:

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: modding a pre-made LED thumbstick kit

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Wretched and welcome to the forums!

There are several ways you could go about doing this. First, What colour is it that you want them to be?
The colour changing kit works by using RGB Led's - Which is Red-Green-Blue.
The chip basically makes the led's cycle through the 3 colours - Going through the spectrum by combining the 3 colours to get the rest (eg. Blue+red = Pink/Purple)

So if you wanted either Red Green or Blue then you could simply re-solder that wire to the corresponding colour to each one of the colour pads.

An alternative method would be to cut the wires and seperate the rings as you suggested, and wire the colour required directly to the board.
Becuase of the way xbox controllers work however the led's may stay on when the controller is off when using this method so you would need to use a transistor to sort this.

If you led me know exactly what you want to do then I can help you and guide you on how to do it - Hopefully you have some good soldering skills; if not... PRACTICE!

Cheers;
Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

wretched
Harmless
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:12 am

Postby wretched » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I would like it to stay one colour, blue, (would rewiring it as-is make it blink on and off as it tries to cycle?). The LED's staying on would not be a problem (though I can get a transistor also) as they would turn off when the battery pack was removed yes?

I am planning on making it into a blue lighted controller - it's for my brother, eventually, after practicing - it will be blue lit inside with a clear shell painted dark blue with lightning pieces left clear so the blue shows through. I thought maybe removing the thumb pieces and wiring them directly to the board would free up space should I need to add more lights in the future, in case the light from the thumb ring isn't enough to light the lightning bits sufficiently.

I am practicing soldering, and I do have a nicely pointed soldering iron so that won't be a problem :D Also this is a practice board so I don't have to worry about messing it up! (or burning it like I may have done, slightly, already..)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm

No probs!

It shouldnt blink if you solder the blue wire to ALL THREE coloured pads (The Red green and blue) - Alternatively you can just solder Blue LED's Onto the board but this is more hassle than it's worth.

I suggest you cut the thumbstick loops off and wire them into the controller power using a transistor. You will need an (NPN) 2N3904 Transistor Available From the Phenoptix shop HERE As well as a 1.8K Ohm Resistor which you can find cheap on ebay. If you check out THIS GUIDE You can see how to wire it - obviously instead of the superflux led you will be wiring in the thumbstick loops. You may need to play around with a couple of resistor values depending on how many led's you add but that is a bridge you will come to in the future.

The Clear shells do look cool but make sure if you are soldering stuff inside that it is kept tidy so it doesnt look too tacky! ;D
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to