Controller Finishing Touches

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
TheRealCushion
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am

Controller Finishing Touches

Postby TheRealCushion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 am

Hi all,

I was just wandering if there was anyone who does LED swaps for people as I don't have too many controllers to try LED swaps out on and would really love to finish of my controller with some new LED's and if someone is kind enough to help me out I was wondering if it is possible to have all sections lit up all the time, here is a picture of my controller just so you can see how rubbish it looks with the standard LED's, I'm not asking anyone to so this for free I am willing to pay for any work to be done.

Thanks for your help

Luke

P.S. sorry about the shocking picture, the other half has the good camera...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Controller Finishing Touches

Postby phenoptix » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 am

Pic looks awesome! We can do your led swap for £12 including LEDs and return shipping. Others on the forums might be able to undercut us though!
Sweet work though! Need to get practicing with your soldering - find some old pcbs and try to take stuff off them and then put it back!

TheRealCushion
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3

Postby TheRealCushion » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 am

That would be pretty cool, obviously for the iron man look I would like them white. The soldering is something I really want to be able to do, my iron is a little old because it is one I inherited from my dad so I may have to get one that slightly more up to date and get practicing, I think it's the scale of the controller LEDs that puts me off.
Thanks for the reply

Luke

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 pm

That does look nice, was it just the player LEDs you wanted changing or did you want additional LEDs anywhere else?
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

TheRealCushion
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3

Postby TheRealCushion » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks, I just want the player LEDs changed for the minute, I am going to invest in a soldering iron and give this a go on a couple controller boards I have managed to steal from friends and family ;) I would just rather this one gets done properly, does anyone use the iron that phenoptix sells because I will probably get that one along with some LEDs and just start trying

Thanks for your replies

Luke

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 pm

TheRealCushion wroteColonThanks, I just want the player LEDs changed for the minute, I am going to invest in a soldering iron and give this a go on a couple controller boards I have managed to steal from friends and family ;) I would just rather this one gets done properly, does anyone use the iron that phenoptix sells because I will probably get that one along with some LEDs and just start trying

Thanks for your replies

Luke

Sorry about the late reply, been ultra busy!
I'd Love To undercut Phenoptix But Somehow doesnt seem right to do that to a valued supplier! :P , plus I'm stacked up with Iphone Repairs at the moment! If Ben doesnt have time to do It I can quote you a price but i'll leave that to you.

As for the soldering iron, i have had 4 different types of iron so far and the one I am on now is the best. The main types of Iron are: Straight Plug In Irons, Gas Powered Irons, Analogue 2/3 setting irons and Digital Soldering stations.

As for Gas powered, they are great to have as a backup for if you need to do repairs on the move or for small soldering jobs, but they are useless for anything that requires a decent joint or uses larger solder.

The Setting select irons are a waste of money, if you are looking to spend more on an iron go for a soldering station; even if you only want to spend £60 you can get a decent one from Maplin.co.uk or such places.

For beginners however The straight plug in irons like the ones phenoptix sell are fantastic. They heat up quickly and are simple to use. Relatively cheap and will most likely be way hot enough for most soldering (Excluding Plumbing Soldering)

I can Vouch for phenoptix saying that they will NOT be selling poor quality Irons, so theirs may be a good place to start - go for the laser cut workstation too as it is surprising how disorganisation can double your worktime as I'm sure many people here will agree!

Anyway, there are various methods for soldering surface mount components so have a browse around youtube and watch a few tutorials and hopefully you can get the hang of it!

Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to