Anyone ever fixed a water damaged controller?

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Anyone ever fixed a water damaged controller?

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

As the title! Have had a return of a controller and noticed water marks, thought I'd take a look inside and sure enough it's had a wee drink! Has anyone ever fixed one? I guess that it's a minefield, you can't realiably track down a faulty component as the whole board has been washed and you could have had a short anywere. I seem to remember somewhere that there is a fuse on board. Any ideas of where that might be?
Part of me wonders why I'm even asking as the customer has been a swine from the outset, threatening negative feedback in their opening email. Just love eBay customers.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Anyone ever fixed a water damaged controller?

Postby xanthic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Is it completely dried out? It might still be retaining water somewhere. Could be worth sticking it in the airing cupboard?

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Put it in a container with rice and leave for a day or two then retry it! I've had the mis pleasure of a water logged xbox to fix and with 5 bags of rice and wrapped in clingfilm for the weekend fixed it.

Other then that its a loooong day with a multi-meter or just keep for parts, like thumb sticks etc.

You could look into water damage stickers
for the future.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Ended up swapping the board out for an old one to get the guy's son sorted (who had never had a drink near it ever! :D).

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 pm

phenoptix wroteColon (who had never had a drink near it ever! :D).

We believe him..... Millions wouldn't but we do ;)
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

kathi
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Postby kathi » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:23 pm

I was Hoping it'd be fine but at least its not 3 Red lights! Thats even harder to fix!
Its torture, especially knowing you can't finish the project until its been sanded! xD
Join online 642-241 and wikipedia to pass University of Washington exam in first try. Our best quality APPLE and selftestengine guide you well for real ISM

Return to