new modder

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm

new modder

Postby joesoap4465 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi all, I'm new to modding, and would like some advice on where to start, i have a Xbox 360 elite console (with HDMI) and a new glossed controller. I have replaced the triggers, shoulder buttons, D-pad, thumb sticks and bottom bar for blue ones, but currently, that is all the modding i have done. (apart from a attempted case mod which never got past the planning stage). the main reason i am starting this thread is because i am interested in some of the things i have seen on the forum and would like any advice on anything to do with my planned mods. as it stands, i would like to mod both my console and controller. i am considering a ROL mod for both to make them blue, upgraded cooling system (i have seen the liquid cooling threads and would be very interested in buying a kit, i would like to try and make one but lack the machinery and materials, i would like to find a kit which had clear coolant and blue l.e.d.s to go with the case mod) and a case mot (either a translucent black case with internal lights or a window, have not decided yet). i am also interested in any suggestions anyone has to offer, i have seen loads of bits and pieces on E-bay but have also looked through this site and found some pretty nice stuff. i have been meaning to mod for ages now, so hopefully signing up and getting some suggestions should give me the cick up the backside i need to get started :D i am a blank canvas to any ideas that i think will look cool :lol: thanks for reading.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: new modder

Postby phenoptix » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Great to have you here! Welcome to the forums. The LED mods are a little fiddly but well worth the effort. Some of the guys on here with water cooling mods will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction for that. Do you have a soldering iron to start with? That's your passport into a whole new world of modding!!

joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29

Postby joesoap4465 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:23 am

thanks for the warm welcome and yes i have a soldering iron (well actually i have 3 :lol: ). i am an electronic maintenance engineering apprentice so i can work my way around a iron so the soldering isn't a problem. tbh I'm looking for tips and tricks and even a few ideas. i have an idea of the color scheme i want but otherwise I'm still pretty undecided.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:53 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've always found that its better to start doing mods you like first, rol mods are a good start but if its your first time then order more then you need as the little bleeders have a habit of disappearing.
If you want to light the inside of the case then I always use pre-wired 12v LED's then solder them to the console motherboard with some extra wire, some good pics on here where the best 12v Points are.

If you want to do a window mod then you will need a dremel multi tool and some small files plus sandpaper to get them nice crisp lines.

As for the paint well sand the case first with rough sandpaper and work your self to the finest sandpaper you have got, clean the case once done, I've put mine in a dishwasher then used IPA just to get it clean and de-greased so the paint has a good start.
First use primer a light layer let it dry then sand it off with super fine sandpaper, this help make the case feel like glass when done.
Next more primer, and sand back keep doing this until you have a perfect finish.
With the paint, I started of with some good quality spray paint (later moved onto an airbrush) and repeat the process as the primer, let each layer dry before sanding and moving onto the next.

Once finished move onto the clear coat and its the same process as above.

I know I've said this before but I will say it again. Just remember to let each layer dry 100% before touching it.

Hope I've helped in some way, if you need to know anything else then please just ask.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29

Postby joesoap4465 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi and thanks for the tips. I have the dremel and my step-dad used to paint card/bikes for a living and he still dose it a bit so he has all the equipment i could need to sand, prime, paint and lacquer the case, i have 2 or 3 old broken 360 consoles, i did a few repairs to some and just never finished these ones off, one of them is fully operational apart from a damaged DVD drive, so i am going to try a few things out on those just so see how they look. i am thinking i would like the black translucent case or a window mod which is semi opaque so i cant see all of the internals but can see the lights, i think i might be able to use some clear acrylic and sand it with a fine grade paper or wire wool so i wont be able to see inside. i can "acquire" some materials from work and have a bit of a play around with them. i will upload any photos of trials and would like some feed back if possible :D

joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29

Postby joesoap4465 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Also dose anyone have any spare DVD drives for sale? I will need to double check which one it is but I know I need one. the last one I replaced went well but any tips on stitching them would be appreciated.

joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29

Postby joesoap4465 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 pm

this is the blue version of the case i want, i cant seem to find the black one any more. :(
http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/xbox-360-ocean-clear-blue-xcm-360-full-custom-replacement-case/p-1628.html

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Cases like that are a good start but for me I like the idea of having something unique that's why I started case modding.

For the window I have seen clear plexi used that is sanded, looks good put needs experimenting as when the lights shine though it could look rough if done wrong.

As for the drive if you let me know which one you need I will have a look and see what I've got.

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

joesoap4465
Below Average
PostsCOLON 29

Postby joesoap4465 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 am

Ye, but i think the wire wool should do the trick. besides if that dose not work my step-dad has very fine sandpaper (for rubbing down cars) so that should do the trick. and dose anyone know a way to find out what DVD drive a board needs because i couldn't seem to find it, i have everything else for it though. :/

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 am

if you have lost the drive and dont have the key then you will need to RGH (reset glitch hack)it for all the info needed for the new drive

Return to