*TUT* RF board rol mod (phat)

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

*TUT* RF board rol mod (phat)

Postby dec0y7 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 pm

so i thought i would put this up as we haven't got one on here and people have asked for one
slim can be found here http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=502

Lots of pics 8-)

Before you begin you will need to ensure you have a few basic items.

0603 or 0805 SMD LEDs (links through to http://www.phenoptix.com/ shop)
Soldering iron (i use an Antex cs18)
flux
Solder
Tweezers
30 AWG KYNAR Wire (for error lights)
Magnifying device (optional if you're a bit squiffy eyed)
Solder Braid (used for mopping up extra solder from the pads or board (optional for clean freaks)

first off lets look at the polarity on the board
credit goes to the original poster of this image.

and the polarity of the SMD's
i recommend to keep checking the above images as they will come in handy
the rest of the images in here are mine and can be used by Phenoptix as they see fit.

as we can see all the outside SMD's share a common + which is impotent to note for later on when we add the error SMDs

First we have to remove the stock SMD's we use a method called floating them off.

To do this we apply solder to all the points at once and heat until the solder is liquid and the SMD will float to the top, you want to keep adding solder until this happens but dont worry it doesn't take much

Fluxed

Now we apply heat and solder

keep adding the solder until you have enough to cover all the point

after 2-3 sec's just give the SMD a little nudge and see if it moves like this
if it moves then just remove it, but if its still attached then apply more solder and heat until it does

once you have remove the stock SMD you will be left with 3 points like this

this is where tweezers come in handy as you want to hold your shiny new SMD on its side and facing inwards plus have the polarity right.
ive used i fine screwdriver with a touch of flux to hold it in place just to try and show how it should sit but you still cant really see the SMD :(
ive also found that you dont need to add extra solder to the pad as their should be enough

Once done you should have something like this

now we solder the other-side (remember this is going to the green neg on the polarity board pic at the top) bit more solder helps here

if you not bothered about the red error lights then just repeat the above process for the other 3 and your done.
But if on the other hand you want to add the error lights then read on 8-)

this pic shows that ive added the first error light but remember you will have check the polarity of the SMD and the board (remember they share a common +)

side on view

next we use 30 AWG KYNAR Wire (just a small bit) solder one end to the common + like this

the other-side of the wire we solder to the SMD like this just add flux and solder

repeat for the other 3 and your done with your RF ROL mod you might have to do a little modding/sanding/filecutting when refitting the diffuser (the bit that clips onto the RF board)
but if you also want to do the power light then read on ;)

with the skills learnt from above we float the centre/power SMD

next just lay it flat and just touch each end of the SMD and you should be good to go

when all done its time to try

and the error lights
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: (TUT) RF board rol mod (phat)

Postby Deary65 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Nice tut.
Holding 0603 SMD LEDs in place is a real bitch. I always cut a very thin bit of masking tape and then pick the LED halfway along the strip of tape. I then stick the LED in place between the two metal contacts. Found it to be effective :)

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Deary65 wroteColonNice tut.
Holding 0603 SMD LEDs in place is a real bitch. I always cut a very thin bit of masking tape and then pick the LED halfway along the strip of tape. I then stick the LED in place between the two metal contacts. Found it to be effective :)

Thanks. good tip i might have to try it as they can be little bleeders and nothing worse then having them pop out of your tweezers never to be seen again.

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

UlrchT
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Postby UlrchT » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:49 am

Hey thanks Decoy that helped! This is my first Console led mod!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

wow that looks great nice paint job, like i said in your other post, next you want to try the rol mod on your pad so its the same as your console.

if you have a look around the forum you might get some ideas for your next one and if you have the modding bug then please take pics and post them on here.
we like looking at new mods :D

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 am

Sterling work and great tip too!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Re: *TUT* RF board rol mod (phat)

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 am

phenoptix wroteColonSterling work and great tip too!

Thank you kindly, just hope it helps others out

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:34 am

Great tut mate, the 'float' method is what saved me getting the original LED's off, i used to try and de-solder each side individually!!
I must admit I tend to angle the second SMD slightly and drag a small piece of solder across from the terminal, but your method is considerably neater and possibly safer as well!! ;)

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I've seen people lay them flat but they don't shine as good when put back together.

Glad you like it mate.

Return to