[TUT] 3 Lights RROD Red Ring Of Death X-Clamp Mod

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

[TUT] 3 Lights RROD Red Ring Of Death X-Clamp Mod

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu May 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi, this will be my 1st ever online tutorial so please go easy lol.

Parts needed

M5 Nylon Washers
M5 Countersunk screws (I used 10mm length)
Masking tape
Thermal paste remover - or I use a small amount of Cif (cream cleaner) on a rag then rubbing alcohol to remove any residues. Works out 100x cheaper and so long as u clean with the alcohol I can’t see it being a problem.

Carefully scrape the dried on thermal paste of with a wooden or plastic toothpick.

I’m not going to show you how to strip the Xbox down to the motherboard or even remove the xclamps, to be honest after the 1st time I tried myself after getting the case undone its quite straight forwards. If not there’s some really good youtube vids out there. Removing the Xclamps are a little tricky but easy when u know how, watch some vids :)

You want the chips Die (shiny part) mirror finish as best to transfer the heat. I’ve applied no clean flux to the connections on and around the chip, i also put some flux on the bottom of the board underneath the CPU and GPU. I like to carefully remove any excess thermal paste from around the chips as Microsoft tends to put far too much on lol.

Nylon M5 heat treated washers £1 for 100 on ebay to protect the motherboard.

I use M5 (10mm length) countersunk screws just because they are a little bit more low profile than the cheese head M5’s I’ve seen. Masking tape to hold in place when you flip the board back over.

Nylon washer again to protect the board. You can see the flux, a little in this pic, not a lot is needed, just around the connections. No clean flux is important (pen in background).

M5 washer and a THIN layer of thermal paste. Arctic Silver or similarly as expensive stuff. Pay for what you get in my opinion. My one come with a cool handy little brush (like nail varnish style pot)and contains silver and carbon and roughly the same thermal conductivity of Arctic Silver.

Remove the bolts that are in the heatsink with a pair of plyers and clean the heatsink well.

When your tightening down the screws do it a little at a time on each one and move to the next screw, don’t do one all the way up and move on to the next as it will be uneven’ possibly breaking something.

Don’t animal the screws down nearly breaking your wrist or the board, it’s only going to break something. You need it tight but not to tight, you should know when you’re doing it enough, it becomes harder to tighten. There is variable thickness in washers so if yours are slightly thinner than the chip and Die then you could be applying a lot more force than that’s needed.

This is the line up of the screws and washers, the cotton bud (q-tip) is representing the xbox motherboard.

Sometimes just by tightening down the screws it fixes the RROD but it normally breaks fairly quickly again sometimes an hour to a few days of play. The key to a longer lasting fix, semi permanent, is to overheat the GPU until the secondary GPU heatsink is “burning your finger hot” and leave it like that for about half hour. Some Xbox’s heat up quicker than others.

The key to putting the fans above the CPU and blocking the GPU from cooling is that I read that the overheat measuring part is done CPU side not GPU so cooling like shown below really gets the GPU hot. DO NOT KEEP YOUR FINGER ON THE HEAT SINK FOR LONG AS IT WIL SCALD. (one of them infrared thermometers might be an investment lol)
Leave to cool completely 15-20mins with extra fans or 30-45 without. I just unplug the cable from the wall, not to touch the Xbox when it’s hot kind of thing, don’t move it lol.

Afterwards I like to apply aluminium tape to the heat sinks to direct the flow down the fins of the heatsink. I always thought that this worked well but its proved, tried and tested now I can see the temps on xexmenu, try it for yourself :) the extra 40mm fan also helps cool the GPU as a fair amount of heat passes up the copper tube.
(run out of black shrink tubing, that mess of red tape has been sorted, just there temporary to stop shorts where there not wanted lol)

My final word.
12v fan mod’s are a must on RROD fixes as the reason they broke in my guess is that they got to hot in the 1st place. If you want my advice, don’t be taking your power from the DVD drive, a sure fire way to break something.

There’s a good software modding site I visit and i found this guide on sourcing power from the Xbox motherboard.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=613160

I take my power directly under the power source where it’s coming in. I solder a fan connector to the board then connect my fans to that. Many ways to skin a cat obviously, that’s mine.

Hope this helps, please ask any questions :)

Tim

Please feel free to add comments to help better everyone's knowledge :)
Last edited by 1 on timmyfingaz, edited 0 times in total.
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: [TUT] 3 Lights RROD Red Ring Of Death X-Clamp Mod

Postby phenoptix » Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Gold star from me! I've only done the job once myself but yours looks like an excellent tut. Nice pictures too! :D

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 pm

thank you kindly, glad its up to the high specs seen around this forum :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 am

Great tut! I could have done with this whilst attempting to fix a RROD box I had, I ended up smashing it up in a fit of rage! :lol:
My problem was that I couldn't overheat it! The xbox turned on for 5 secs before One red light flashed, Then the fans conked out an two red lights came on stopping the box from overheating! I tried a couple of different ways but in the end my temper on the day got the better of me unfortunately!
Any tips on why this happened and how to fix/prevent it?
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Mon May 21, 2012 10:40 am

thanks mate :)

no sorry, no known fix to my knowledge as yet to the problem u mentioned. i brought some xenon boards quite cheep and one of them has similar symptoms. i've got a few in a box in my loft which i'm going to try the heat gun method on at some point as i've got nothing else to loose with them, failing that i think my mate said he could scrap them lol.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Haha okay thanks anyway! Let me know If you find a miracle cure! :D
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 pm

The best homemade fix to do is the Homemade Hybrid fix from XboxExperts. It uses the chassis of the xbox and is a much more solid and 'kind' fix.
You shouldn't use nylon washers as they can change in size with the heat.
Why do you use flux if you are not reworking the board?
Also, you do not want to overheat the motherboard at all. If an a X-clamp fix doesn't work, then you haven't fixed it. Overheating the board will warp it more and could be worse in the long run.

I'm sorry to be harsh but there are a lot of tutorials such as this one providing wrong information. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me and I will give you a long essay about Xbox 360s :P ;)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Deary65 wroteColonThe best homemade fix to do is the Homemade Hybrid fix from XboxExperts. It uses the chassis of the xbox and is a much more solid and 'kind' fix.
You shouldn't use nylon washers as they can change in size with the heat.
Why do you use flux if you are not reworking the board?
Also, you do not want to overheat the motherboard at all. If an a X-clamp fix doesn't work, then you haven't fixed it. Overheating the board will warp it more and could be worse in the long run.

I'm sorry to be harsh but there are a lot of tutorials such as this one providing wrong information. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me and I will give you a long essay about Xbox 360s :P ;)

Deary! Where ya been!? Haven't seen you around here in a while! Would be great to get a couple of tips on why my 1 red light turned into 2 after trying to fix it! :S
Anyway... Good to see you round!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:52 pm

deary65 it works for me so why not share? i fix xboxs for a living and theres many ways to skin a cat. my xboxs dont often come back to me broken so it proves to me that my fix works :)

thanks for the info i'll certainly bear it in mind and read up

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Yes, it may work. I would just like to highlight the fact that I would not recommend a number of things you do in your tutorial and hopefully anyone reading through the comments will pick up on this.

Return to