*Fail* - Mock Up/Tester Machined ABXY Buttons

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

*Fail* - Mock Up/Tester Machined ABXY Buttons

Postby Almurray42 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi guys, a couple of days ago i thought I'd have a quick go at machining some custom ABXY buttons on a center lathe, these are just a mock up to see how hard it was going to be and to see if they are actually usable in a controller, I am still an amateur machinist so any tips are welcome, and there are a couple of mess ups too! :L I really had a MASSIVE fail using the letter Punches, and messed up on the A and the B especially, anyway remember these are not finished or polished, but Heres the results so far!

As you can see I started with rather a large bar, so a lot had to go to waste! :L

Let me know what you think, I for one think its a bit of a fail, but i'll wait and see it they actually fit in my controller xD

Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: *Fail* - Mock Up/Tester Machined ABXY Buttons

Postby phenoptix » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Those are AWESOME! They're not quite Modstick ABXY but they're supercool, the stamping could have been a bit smoother but you'll know for next time. I am well impressed. +1

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Definately impressive mate, don't worry about the stamping, thats always a pain in the a##e anyway, but like i said before the concept is there and you've got the shape and hopefully the size. Once you try and fit them you can then alter your design to suit and change whatever you're not happy with.
Being an engineer by trade I know that no one gets it right first time and I think you've done a top job I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. ;)

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks Guys! Better feedback than i was expecting! :P
Unfortunately I stupidly left them in my overalls which are in my locker at college, so won't get around to finning them until tuesday, But then I might have a go at machining a D-Pad aswell! :D
Anyway, I know what I need to change when I make the Proper version of these, I need to bore out a dip in the end leaving a shallow lip (So they function properly as buttons) And I need to Weld/Solder On some tiny legs so the buttons fit into the Actual ABXY slots on the controller, but for now i'll just check that the dimensions I used are correct, Thanks for the feedback!
-An Engineer In training :D :P

Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:46 pm

The Modsticks butttons have a perfect hole in the end that has been drilled to fit over the rubber pad perfectly, if i can I'll take a picture at some point.
Actually, what might be more useful to yourself is if i measure up the dimensions i.e overall length and such, and knock up a quick beermat sketch for you!
If i get five minutes i'll get it done over the weekend.
As for the feet i think you could get away with anything as long as it stops some of the rotation but more importantly just stops them from falling out!!
Great work so far!!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

bigal344 wroteColonThe Modsticks butttons have a perfect hole in the end that has been drilled to fit over the rubber pad perfectly, if i can I'll take a picture at some point.
Actually, what might be more useful to yourself is if i measure up the dimensions i.e overall length and such, and knock up a quick beermat sketch for you!
If i get five minutes i'll get it done over the weekend.
As for the feet i think you could get away with anything as long as it stops some of the rotation but more importantly just stops them from falling out!!
Great work so far!!

That'd Be great if you could! Not entirely sure why i'm even doing these, but its a bit of fun so it cant hurt! :D
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey hey, finally had an excuse to use Google Sketchup, not bad for a 10min effort methinks, some dimensions are not entirely obvious and the 3mm shoulder length includes the slightly stepped portion that has the 'legs' on it, but i couldn't draw them. May have ago later!!
Also the overall length is just the body of the button and does not include the actual dome of the button (which pushes in on the Modsticks version), this is another 3.5mm, taking the overall length to 14.0mm.
Hopefully this is some help for you mate!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:04 pm

That's brilliant! Thanks! I'll have to print that off and give it a try! Impressive for 10 mins work haha, the wonders of CAD eh? :D
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Sketchup is a brilliant little program, very simple to use really. But never really had a reason to use it before!!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:53 pm

bigal344 wroteColonSketchup is a brilliant little program, very simple to use really. But never really had a reason to use it before!!

Yeah I have used it before, But I personally Prefer Solidworks... Although a bonus of sketchup is that its free! xD
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

Return to