New Controller Time

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

New Controller Time

Postby bigal344 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

After having got hold of some of the lovely and moreish Modsticks products I've decided that a new 'shiny' controller. So with a few ideas in mind i grabbed an old shell and set about smoothing over a bits that i didn't like, Starting with the Microsoft logo (I don't care who made it!).

Whilst here i opened up the sync hole ever so slightly so that when painted I won't have any problems with the button sticking, he says confidently. ;)

Also LB and RB button logos, as again i know which buttons are which by now!

Prime the battery pack up and smooth back.

With the actual controller shell I have smoothed over the Player numbers and the slight recess around the guide button and then given a good coat of plastic primer and plenty of rub downs to get a nice smooth finish.

Once dry I gave it a quick dusting on the inside so that i wouldn't get any missing pieces in the cracks or joins!

I used and old set of buttons to blank off the holes so that i didn't fill them up with paint! After a few coats I've ended up with something that looks like this, now this is only the base of the project, there is more to come........as long as it works....... ;)

Using the same methods i did the rear half of the controller and got this rather nice finish.

The top bar came out with a few marks on it so this ended up being buffed back with some scotchbrite ready for another coat.

I already had a bottom bar in black, but wasn't happy with the finish so i again buffed it back for re-painting.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Re: New Controller Time

Postby bigal344 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:58 pm

I will of course be using the Modsticks triggers that i already have and these little babies as well that arrived today, thanks Phenoptix for the usual swift delivery!!

Then once i get paid, i should have the majority of the shell done so I'll grab some sticks as well to finish it off nicely,mmmmmm!!

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Looking Nice! I really struggle to get a good finish on my paintjobs, I am using an Airbrush with Createx Paints, but I suppose that i'm still slightly new to spraying... I Am SO tempted by those Modsticks buttons... They look Really really nice! Got a Plan for any design or gunna keep it gloss black?
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 am

I'm cheating really and just using aerosols, but I've got used to them and can get a pretty good finish. One of the other guys on here, who's away at the mo due to illness, is a wizard with an airbrush and has successfully talked me into getting one at some point.
It won't be just gloss black, but should have a nice extra finish, which I'm Keeling quiet about in case I make a complete b##ls up of it!! :-P

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 pm

The case looks nice, looking forward to seeing the extra finish. Seriously though, those modsticks buttons are something special.

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 pm

i've still got the standard white controllers with green led's lol. looks like something else i'm gonna have 2 mod now i guess lol :) good work cant wait to see the finished result
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks very much for the praise, we'll see how it turns out!!
The Modstick triggers are great, the buttons are amazing. When i fitted them they felt a bit loose in the shell, but once the controller is assembled they hold over the rubber piece and and are massively more responsive than the standard buttons with a lovely tactile feel (good word there!!). Even the start/select buttons feel better!!
I honestly can't recommend them enough, i bought mine from Phenoptix on Mon this week, and love them so much that I've now ordered the matching Modsticks sticks (!?) to go with them, all in all a bloody expensive controller, but it feels expensive, nice and solid!!! :D :D

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 pm

bigal344 wroteColonThanks very much for the praise, we'll see how it turns out!!
The Modstick triggers are great, the buttons are amazing. When i fitted them they felt a bit loose in the shell, but once the controller is assembled they hold over the rubber piece and and are massively more responsive than the standard buttons with a lovely tactile feel (good word there!!). Even the start/select buttons feel better!!
I honestly can't recommend them enough, i bought mine from Phenoptix on Mon this week, and love them so much that I've now ordered the matching Modsticks sticks (!?) to go with them, all in all a bloody expensive controller, but it feels expensive, nice and solid!!! :D :D

Must Be a bit of a weighty controller? Haha, Did you get them all in blue? Must admit i'm tempted to get a set of them all, which brings on a thought... Maybe Ben could get a deal up where you can buy a full set of all the modsticks price as a kit (Triggers, Thumbsticks And buttons)? - Just thinking....
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:36 pm

New Modsticks from Phenoptix arrived this morning whilst I was at work....

Here's the controller as it is at the moment, bear in mind that this is another shell that everything is in until i finish painting the other one!!

So once i've had a bit of a clean up its time to get busy fitting them. As with all the Modsticks gear that I've bought, the fit has been nothing short of brilliant, with everything slotting into place without problem, so after 10mins work I ended up with this.

The analog sticks now feel much smoother and have more actual travel due to the increased height and thinner stems, whereas the d-pad stick definitely allows you to flick the directions very accurately, all i need to do now is fine tune the heights of the sticks and we're done.
The only problem now is that I'm all Modded out!! No more products for my controller!!!

On the subject of the new paintjob, I have temporarily assembled the shell so that my next coat can be put on all over in one go.
Over the black is a blue pearl coat, which should give a very nice blue shine under the lacquer.
After 3 very fine coats I ended up with this with not alot of light on the shell....

This next picture was taken straight away after the last one but with the flash on, and shows up the blue under heavy light...

It still looks quite dark from most angles which is pretty much what i was after, and by the time it has a few coats of lacquer on it, it should be very shiny indeed. Hopefully I'll be getting this done tomoro if I'm in work!!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Dammit! I've found a problem.

It won't fit in my case with the new sticks.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe I'll have to get one of those shiny Modsticks cases.......................

Return to