[WIP] Custom Water Cooled 360

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: [WIP] Custom Water Cooled 360

Postby timmyfingaz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 pm

hey guys, thanks for all the input the gears in my head have been grinding whilst soaking the info up.

a warm welcome to uncle chemass a good friend of mine who i've known for over 10 years now :) thanks for the input bro. good idea for the double weave, russel (mums husband) said about a "club sandwich" with multipul layers of tubing. but i'm a bit wary about space. i dont really want to but the dvd drive could come out if it has to as its the jtag.

thanks bigall for ur great input, i've discused the bending of the pipe with russel who has also said the same thing about the tight radius and has talked about soldered 90 degree bends to see if we can get tighter that way. the 5mm copper micro-bore is on the way, hope to have some fun bending by the weekend, just to get a feel for things. i've read about filling the tubing with dry salt when bending and russel said you can use sand so gotta try at least lol

thanks also to almurray and pheno for your input about squashing the tubing, russel has a little solution to that problem he says. found some loctite thermal adhisive and wants to stick the tubing down with that, increasing the surface area of the pipe to copper sheet. i'm all for squashing the tubing but i'm sure this is not going to be the 1st version of the waterblock :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Your welcome for the help, you'll find that you get alot of that from everyone on here!!
My Jtag doesn't have a DVD drive as it only contributes to heat issues and as you know you don't have alot of use for them in a console such as these.
Soldered 90 degree bends wil possibly be the best bet in my opinion, and once the solder is cleaned up will give a great steampunk type look. I've used wound springs inside larger bore pipes for bending, but its very easy to get these stuck even in the larger tubes. On something of your size sand filling may well work, as the main problem you will get is distortion of the tubing (going oval) or creasing on the tight 90 degree bends.
Always good to have a Mk1 product so that you can learn from problems and make design improvements!
As mentioned before i think that we're both gonna see some drastic improvements in the running temperatures of our consoles, we'll have to have a temp comparison when we're both done!!! :D

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 pm

thanks bigal and yeah a throw down it is, all good fun of course. now let me think who's gonna have cooler temps..... u ;) russel (mums husband) has sourced 8mm microbore and 8mm soldered copper T junctions and 90 degree elbows. he thinks the idea is good enough to not use a pump, yep you read that right. i've got every faith with russel but i'm doubting this personally. nothing wrong with a mk 1 version just to get the feel for the water block, he said its being designed in mind that a pump might have 2 be added. got some copper nice and cheap this time, 5quid for 900g just over scrap value. 10mm tube which could be used for the radiator system or something? anyways things should start happening in the next week or 2 and i'll have something to share with you's :)

12v fan mod and 12v UV LED's inside

12v UV LED's end shot (look blue but are purple and a lot brighter althogh i need to position the LED's properly)

not the neatest of soldering but probs the best i've done personaly lmao ;) respect to you guys who solder surface mounted led's, maybe one day lol.....

front pannel PC connectors soldered to the 5v switched and a seperate one for 5v standby should the need arise. going to buy some male fan connectors 2moro from maplin that will fit into the connectors giving me my power safely with no dodgy connecting wires lol

picking up my led's from maplin 2moro (sorry ben, ordered them about a month ago and not been back to collect, urs i ordered and turned up pretty much the next day or 2 lol) there 5mm super bright blue not sure what they will do to the UV colour temp. i could of got double the amount of LED's for the same money if i would of found http://stores.ebay.co.uk/phenoptix first !!!

sorry for the size of the pics, i'll make them smaller next time :)

tim
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I honestly don't think that there will be much in the temps, mine may have a big radiator and fans, but yours has the increased thermal conductivity of copper, it'll be interesting to compare though!!
I'm also not sure about the no pump method. The only way i could see this working, slightly, is if the rad was higher than the console and maybe the hotter fluid would rise to the top and the cooled fluid would 'sink', although I'm not sure how efficient this would be.
Depending on where you want to site the pump and how quiet you would want it to be, there is a multitude of pumps to choose from. Especially when you consider that some of the cheaper PC pumps are made by Eheim that manufacture fish tank pumps and some of them are almost exactly the same!
Part of the reason that mine is using a large rad is that future plans (if it all goes to plan!!) is to use the same rad and possibly (slim chance, capacity allowing) the same pump in a water cooling loop that also cools my CFW PS3, although this will require a bit more though and planning due to the size and placement of the PS3 heatsinks!!

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 pm

the idea was to have the radiator higher than the waterblock, a system of tubes working there way up slowley. u know where the cpu heat sink sits, theres going to be a lot of area to work with when the original heat sink is removed.

my mate who got me the copper 10mm pipe said sometimes they get small coffee perculator pumps as they have a small piece of copper in them. he's gonna pull one out for me to see if it fits but thats gonna be 230v and really i want everything internal - no xtra plugs to turn on etc. i've seen some small fuel pumps on ebay for about 20quid but i think a small pump designed for the job is probs gonna set back the same.

a special "thanks" to maplin for completley messing my order up, a month for 4 bloodey led's. they had 3 and was like we can refund you the other one if u want, i was like na u can refund the whole lot please. i'm going to http://www.phenoptix.com/ and putting a little order in, in the next week or so :) no messing about then.

i'm thinking about the antex 25w soldering iron on the website, u guys think this will be good for what i'm soldering? not to small, just xbox stuff. you never no i might be able 2 solder a smd before long (after burning a few out no doubt lmao)

have a great weekend folks,

tim

edit - bigal does ur ps3 cfw get hot? i battered mine for 12hours sometimes when i first got mine and she's really good, silent in comparison to the normal xbox without 12v fan mod. i got most of the games but the xbox has the modded scene wrapped around its finger with the new-ish RGH. gotta get my soldering skills upto scratch before i start thinking about buying a slim and taking a soldering iron anywhere near it lol

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:59 pm

WatercoolingUK do some pumps that come in fairly cheap. A 12v Magicool pump is about £25 and is 12v so could be run from internal power without issues.
I've got an 25w Antex soldering iron and its great, does everything i want it to, from small RGH points (with a small 0.5mm tip) upto larger component removal, perfect for the sort of things we get upto!!!
My PS3's not to bad, it used to be fairly noisy as its a 40GB system so used the lesser bladed fan, which I yanked out and replaced with the later 19 blade fan which makes the world of difference, and is alot better at cooling, but still can be improved upon!!! :D

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:26 pm

picking up my led's from maplin 2moro (sorry ben, ordered them about a month ago and not been back to collect, urs i ordered and turned up pretty much the next day or 2 lol) there 5mm super bright blue not sure what they will do to the UV colour temp. i could of got double the amount of LED's for the same money if i would of found http://stores.ebay.co.uk/phenoptix first !!!

Hey we all make mistakes! The important thing is that you've learned!

The box looks great

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 pm

cheers ben i sure have, great delivery time by the way :)

al thanks, seen them enhime pumps, i have a fish tank so recognise the name shall be getting something similar. possibly the one with the clear res around it, might just have that xternal on the top somewhere lit up with phenoptics 12v UV led's :)

i think russel and myself have both come up with the master plan for waterblock mk1. bits and bobs been ordered so although i said i'd hope to have some stuff to show you, i will have soon. even if its a picture of the thermal glue which is turning up this evening lol.

i brought some broken xbox's from ebay and my luck was in, got another jtagable xbox in the bunch but the rest where non fixable, used parts out of them to make one good xbox. 12v modded the fans last night and swapped the dvd drive as the one in it was sticking. this one seems to run cooler than my original jtag. it actually had its original seals and never been xclamp modded, well untill last night ;) also upgraded the GPU heatsink to one with the copper pipe.

oh my jtag thats in the elite case, my elite HDD cover turned up so thats looking pretty cool now, rather than just the hard drive and a cable connecting it lol.

will be back with some pics soon :)

Tim
Last edited by 1 on timmyfingaz, edited 0 times in total.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:33 am

Great to hear progress is being made, I know all to well that things don't always fly along, they tend to take jumps then stall completely!!!
Gotta love those Ebay finds, that's how I've managed to come across most of my JTAG's, like you I was lucky enough to find one that had never even been opened, and was running the blade dash!!
Of course this was before the advent of the RGH, which makes my life alot easier!!

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:01 pm

just about to order my 1st coolrunner board :) thats all i need the "cheap" way to get the keys i'm after? thanks al :)

Return to