[WIP] Custom Water Cooled 360

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

[WIP] Custom Water Cooled 360

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am

Hi,

I'm Tim and quite new round here, been reading the xbox 360 section of the forum and you all seem like a nice bunch, unlike some other forums i've read in the past, slating people for spelling and grammar and such lol.

I've started this thread to ask some questions and get some ideas from other members and hopefully (not) a bit of problem solving :)

I was going to water cool my xbox by buying the made parts from watercoolinguk but it was going to set me back £165. After buying my LED's from phenoptix ebay i noticed a link for this forum so checked it out and was really impressed with bigall334's DIY Water Cooler http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=523 and it gave me the inspiration to have a go at making my own custom water cooler (with a little help from my step dad who is an engineer of sorts)

So here is the design that he came up with on the spot when i told him the limitations we have with space.

waterblock v1.jpg

the rectangle piece would be made from a copper plate and the lines will be copper "micro bore" copper tube aprox 5mm diameter. the tubing will be fixed in place by soldering to the block (plumbers style if you know what i mean?)

the radiator will be made of the same fashion tubing in the same shape but without the block. this would hopefully be de designed to fit in front of the existing fans.

i thought about milling the track for the pipe out of the copper block to embed the copper pipe a little in the block for more surface area for heat transfur and low profiling

side section waterblock.jpg

sorry for my artistic skills there nearly as good as my practical modding ability lmao (joke)

so my main question - do you think it would work efficiently enough to cool my xbox. after a game of RAGE last night for an hour or so it was 63oc CPU and 50oc GPU and thats with the extra fans at the back and the small 40mm fan on the GPU heat sink that extends out just behind the power switch.

thanks in advance :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: [WIP] Custom Water Cooled 360

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 am

slight mods so far

elite case - xenon motherboard (no hdmi) slight mod on the case to make it fit

26032012175.jpg

practical/accessable jtag - not yet been used apart from the 1st flash lol

26032012177.jpg

33mm hole with a 40mm fan on the upgraded GPU heatsink extention (just behind the power button) from the donor elite.

26032012183.jpg

not mega amazing or anything just a little work in progress :)

tim :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 am

That's a great start, Copper will be good for dissipating the heat, so that will be a plus, but I think you may want slightly larger diameter copper piping, I'm sure when bigal334 posts which I'm sure he will; he should be able to advise you better... Great job on managing to sort out a Jtag'd xenon board in a slim case! Must've been a fairly fiddly process? Anyway, keep us updated of any progress! :D
Cheers,
Btw, I'm Al (Alaster) and bigal334 is also Al (Alan) Just in-case of confusion so you know haha!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:31 pm

thanks mate :) i wish that i got a xenon motherboard in a slim case ;) sorry bro it was just an elite case, basicly the white xbox size case but matt black official micro$oft. i'll get some pics up next time just to clarify what we are talking about lol

had a little brain storming session with another modder who hopefully will be joining here soon, he said what about sandwiching the pipe between 2 thinner pieces of copper sheet. he also mentioned that u could get flat copper tube, something to investigate lol :)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:24 pm

timmyfingaz wroteColonthanks mate :) i wish that i got a xenon motherboard in a slim case ;) sorry bro it was just an elite case, basicly the white xbox size case but matt black official micro$oft. i'll get some pics up next time just to clarify what we are talking about lol

had a little brain storming session with another modder who hopefully will be joining here soon, he said what about sandwiching the pipe between 2 thinner pieces of copper sheet. he also mentioned that u could get flat copper tube, something to investigate lol :)

Ah right I see haha, my bad! But yeah get your friend to sign up! The more the merrier! Flat copper piping is quite good as you have more surface area actually on the board, so that's definitely something to look into...
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am

no probs :)

waterblock side section v2.jpg

edit - changed from 10mm to 5mm tubing due to space

this is the design i'm going to try. i've ordered 1 meter of 5mm copper microbore from ebay for a fiver. the 3mm copper sheet is about 3-4 quid per half of the "sandwich".

edit - maybe not squashed tubing, your thoughts please :)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm no cooling expert but surely the squashed copper would be a good option as you're increasing the surface area in contact with the outer copper sheeting. Would be good to have your mate on here too.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Looking good mate, I'm always glad to see people giving things a go!! And also with this that you're trying something different than the tried and tested water block!!
Firstly it sounds like your 'box is fairly well cooled, 63degrees is not to bad for an hours worth of play, and you should see some considerable temp drops from water-cooling, tbh it is a bit excessive for a console, but what would we do otherwise!!!
Copper is better at dissipating heat than aluminium, thermal conductivity approx 130k i believe, and copper is up around 230k approx. That being the amount of heat transfered under given conditions.
If you can machine a groove in which you can sit the pipe before you solder it in place that will make the world of difference, as Ben said the greater the contact area the more heat that will be lost through the surface. Micro-bore piping will be great, but from experience it can be very difficult to achieve tight radii on installations without the pipes creasing, have a practice first on a spare bit and see how you get on!!
If you can get it bent out alright and in place, you could use the grooves that you planned on machining as a sort of press tool to help you get the perfect shape, otherwise as mentioned later on, flattening them slightly between two plates with either thermal compound or solder would be great for heat.
Apologies if I've repeated myself here at all but writing this in a bit of a hurry on the Sunday night before all the kids go back to playschool/school and college!!! :shock: :shock:

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

chemass
Harmless
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Postby chemass » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi Tim,

I think that the squashed tubing is definitely the way to go - more surface area transferring the heat has to be a good thing!
It will also be easier as you won't need to machine any channels for the pipe to lay in.

I was thinking about the sandwich, and it occurred to me that the top sheet has very little to do (apart from clamp the pipe), so doesn't necessarily need to be copper. Also, how tight together do you think you can get the pipes?
If they are spread wide, like this:
Standard-Flow.gif

then all the red areas are wasted space.
However, could this work?
doubleFlow.gif

There would have to be some funky up 'n' down weaving of pipes at the ends, but i think you could do it in the vertical space you've got.
Originally, i was thinking of a tight spiral, but thought that maybe the pipe jutting up from the middle would be too high.

What do you think?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Welcome to the site chemass! Interesting ideas, I'll leave comment to those that know more about cooling systems than me know!

Return to