Xbox 360 Console - First Mod! *WIP*

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Xbox 360 Console - First Mod! *WIP*

Postby Almurray42 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 am

Cheers for the encouragement! Should have the Xbox repair kit in the post tomorrow (Today actually, Oh Gosh look at the time! xD) So I'll get the RROD sorted and move this project on to the next stage! I can make a RROD Single red light fix tutorial If it would help newcomers? Whaddya think?
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

yeah would be a good idea, i'll add my 2pence as well if u want? do you overheat them after the x-clamp removal mod? would be interesting to see ur techniques :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Ill be removing the x clamp and removing the old thermal compound before reflowing the motherboard, and applying the new thermal compound, if you have a tut ready made I'm sure it would help a fair few people... If not I'm happy to take pics as I go and make a tutorial afterwards...?
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Tue May 01, 2012 7:38 pm

no tut here mate just the one in my head lol. how do you go about reflowing the board?
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 pm

It sounds more than it is to be honest haha, remove the motherboard and take a heatgun to the GPU and the surrounding areas, you heat for approx 60 secs then flip the board and do the same, repeat the process lowering the time by 5 secs at a time until you finally heat the lopsided for 10 secs. You then let the board cool and that's a basic reflow! It effectively re-melts some of the small solderpoints binding the connections better and kinda by overheating the heatsink it 'resets' them, it's hard to explain how... I'll make a proper tut then, seems it'd be useful to a few people!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu May 03, 2012 3:47 pm

yeah i've heard of that method before i'm finaly going to try it on a few D.O.A. xenon's i brought of ebay that i cant fix my normal way for some practice.

this is the "relflow" method that i use.

10032012125.jpg

30-45 mins, u want the secondary gpu heatsink to be "burning ur finger hot" lmao but keep the cpu cooler with the fan coz thats where the thermostat is i've read. you dont want 2 lights when u do this signalling "overheat" on the rrod. i just pull the power from the wall, leave to cool for 20-30 mins and normally good 2 go. my current xenon jtag is rock solid since the fix and 12v fan mod (well recommended)

with the xclamp removal mod and overheat i've gotten 9/10 xbox's working. i have 2 hdmi boards that i overheat for 45 mins, leave to cool. u get a few hours to few days play then it does the same thing. overheating this way has fixed every other xbox i've ever fixed :) (apart from the doa xenons from ebay someone had tried 2 fix already)

this is where i learnt the info from originally, although my xclamp mod is different now :)

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ri ... mp_fix.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to