Xbox 360 Console - First Mod! *WIP*

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Xbox 360 Console - First Mod! *WIP*

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi guys, As i have had quite a bit of spare time over easter and had a spare Fat 360 shell laying around i decided to give it an attempt at a little mod... Heres the progress:

First I drew on the design That I wanted onto the console with a perm marker.

Then I got out the bosch cutter and roughly cut out the circle followed by the 4 "Legs"

Then I started the horribly slow process of filing and sanding down the edges....

After about 30 mins of sanding I got fed up and went on to cut the piece of acrylic, so i roughly drew on the size and cut the plexiglass.

On the underside of the top shell is normally several bumps and ridges, so i sanded these down again with the trusty Bosch to give a flat surface to put the plexiglass on.

EDIT: I have now also "Scruffed" the plexiglass, to give it a nice opaque effect.

I Still need to tidy it up and finish getting all the edges nice and smooth. After that I might make a little shape out of the circle i cut out, and that should be the shell done.

After that i need to fix a RROD xbox i also have laying around, which I will add SMD Strips to before popping the modded shell on, I'll keep you updated!

P.S I'm not expecting this to turn out too great, as I have already made a couple of silly mistakes but you can only learn from mistakes!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Xbox 360 Console - First Mod! *WIP*

Postby phenoptix » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Great start! I'm sure it will turn out great, you'll be the only one who will notice the mistakes!

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:50 am

hey bro i'll be watching this for some ideas :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Cool man, I need to fix a RROD xbox before I can go any further, but heres the shell after a bit more filing and sanding, this mod has dropped on my priorities list as I actually need to source an old xbox 360 power cable from somewhere before i can fix the RROD, i need the literally oldest one, i think its 16.2v but not sure...

I still need to sand it a bit more, and I buggered up when using the dremmel so its not exactly to shape which is a shame, But should finish this and stick on the acrylic soon.

If anyone knows of any old power cables going i'd happily buy one!? :D

Anyway, thats it from me,
Cheers!

Al
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:14 pm

Looking very good mate, as Ben has mentioned, you will be the only person who will notice any mistakes.
I'm exactly like you in that i spot all the little things with projects which nobody else see's until i point it out!!
The early 176w power supplies only fit the early consoles, whereas the later 205w psu's will fit and work with any console at all, the extra wattage doesn't cause any problems.

On this subject, I've pm'd you mate.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Quick Update, I kindly recieved the power cable for the box and have now found out it only has one Red Light on the RROD. I have a repair kit in the post, as my thermal compound i have at the moment is Crap to be frank! Getting some Arctic cooling MX-2, anyway, once i've fixed the error I'll get the Led's installed into the console and glue the acrylic to the shell... I've been putting it off because I am dreadin finishing off the sanding down! It's very time eating!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 am

Damn, sorry to hear about the 'box mate. Sure you'll have it up and running soon though!!
I'm like you with sanding, I love cutting things,gluing and forming. But the final sanding to get that smooth finish is seriously soul destroying, sand and check, sand and check repeat............ :cry:

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am

Haha, I was Hoping it'd be fine but at least its not 3 Red lights! Thats even harder to fix!
Its torture, especially knowing you can't finish the project until its been sanded! xD
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 am

It'll be worth it though! 8-)

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 pm

hey mate hope ur well? i fix xbox's if u need any advice give me a shout might be able 2 help :)

and get sanding ;)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

Return to