DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Re: DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Postby bigal344 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:26 am

So, all of the grooves are machined in to the water block. I will get some more pics up when BB decide to fix the network and allow me to use my phone as it was meant!!!

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 am

Wow. I have seen many Bodged jobs of water cooling but this system genuinelly looks top notch. I am actaully drawn in now and would love to make something similar for my xbox 360 slim, Except less complex! :P
Looks amazing so far, excited to see more progress!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Cheers for the comments, I'm gonna try and get back on it this week, i have since binned the original block (due to the edges being slighty to small to fit both seal and screws!).
I've made another bare block and i'm gonna leave a bit more meat around the edge's, i may also machine some turbulance inducing fins inside the chamber but we'll see.
Some pics and info as soon as possible!!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 am

New block machined out of some more alloy that i had, ahem, lying around at work, slightly longer and wider than the last one, this one is a tight fit inbetween the capacitors and other electronics.

You can see just how close from this next picture taken after the holes at the rear were machined in and the many M3 holes were drilled and tapped on the front for the cover. I had already cut a piece of perspex that was oversize and clamped it in place with the block as i machined in the holes for the screws, i then tapped the holes, coutersunk the lid, fixed it all in place and then carefully trimmed the cover to size whilst it was in place.
I've decided to work my way in from the outside as it was, ie fixing screw holes then selaing rubber groove then water chamber this time so that i ensure that i have enough room for all of them. This would be made easier if i planned ahead and maybe did a drawing or two, but wheres the fun in that!?!?
Note that the piece of perspex in this photo was an old one that was used to get the coutersinks correct!!

Next up is machining the groove for the sealing rubber, this was cut in my break at work, using a 2mm slot drill, creating a 2mm deep and 2.5mm wide groove. Had i have had one i would have prefered to use a ball nose cutter to make a nice pretty circular groove.

Temporary rubber in place, it looks a bit high, but compacts down quite well when the cover is placed on and screwed down,

Next i did some proper planning as you can see, by drawing sort of what i wanted onto the block prior to machining, note the possibilty of some cool looking fins in the works.

These are some pictures that i've taken after i started to rough out the inside of the waterblock with a larger cutter (8mm), on the first photo you can clearly see where i went left instead of right and machined the end of off one of the fins, but its alright i'll make it look like it was meant to be like that. ;)
The plan is now to get a smaller cutter (hopefully bout 4mm) and finish off all of the edges of the chambers and corners, all thats left to do on this then is to drill and tap some holes into the lid for my lovely black nickel connectors.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 am

That looks amazing. Milling aluminium always looks so cool, suppose it's quite the norm for you! What sort of LCD are you looking to put in? I've just got some blue 16 x 2 displays in. Is that the sort of thing :D

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 am

Yeah possibly, althoug hi think i'm gonna get it all up and running first and then try and get some temp pickups wired in to a display.
Is the 16x2 a measurement or display size if you see what i mean?

I_AM_L3G3ND_90
Average
PostsCOLON 58
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am
LocationCOLON Deal,Kent

Postby I_AM_L3G3ND_90 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm

How much would you charge for the install ?

I am interested.
Feel free to join my facebook group:
The Xbox Mod Squad.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:33 am

To be honest i really have no idea at the moment as its all just being flung together from bits and pieces and done in my spare time. Once its finished i'll have a better idea of whats gone into it and wether i ever want to do it again!! :lol: :lol:

I_AM_L3G3ND_90
Average
PostsCOLON 58
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am
LocationCOLON Deal,Kent

Postby I_AM_L3G3ND_90 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 am

Well certainly keep us informed.
Feel free to join my facebook group:
The Xbox Mod Squad.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm

So i have managed at last to get a few more things done on this long term project, the insides have all been machined out on the machine at work, although in my break of course, ahem.

And once everything is finished off neatly, and then given a little bit of paint around the outside you get this.

Now the underside wants to have a half decent contact area against the chips themselves, so a little bit of a polish was in order. Cue rags and some t-cut......then a very sore wrist later. :cry:

Next up was to find a suitable test board, so that in case anything goes wrong i don't melt/catch fire to or otherwise destroy a good board. So i dug out an old motherboard that i knew switched on but that didn't have a drive key and was a bit unreliable.

Return to