DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Postby phenoptix » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am

Wow, sweet mirror finish! You've made a lot of progress. Can't wait to see it in place.

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:56 pm

WOW great work :) thanks for the inspiration to home make my own water cooling system for my 360. i looked into it and was going to spend £165 which is 3x more than i paid for the rrod jtagable xenon xbox. thinking of a slightly different design now my step dad's an engineer and has come up with an idea i'm going to push forwards with. gonna mod the whole thing it quite a bit, got an elite case its going in, looking for ideas and such, looks like i've come to the right place :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm

It's always worth giving something a go yourself, glad to hear you're going to go down the DIY route,I'm a great believer in having a go at things!
You've definitely come to the right place.for help with all things electrical and hacked!
The principle of watercooling something is pretty simple, just apply done common sense and try things out on an old donor board, which you can pick up cheap, as long as it has power you're good to go.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions, and good luck with the project!

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am

timmyfingaz wroteColonWOW great work :) thanks for the inspiration to home make my own water cooling system for my 360. i looked into it and was going to spend £165 which is 3x more than i paid for the rrod jtagable xenon xbox. thinking of a slightly different design now my step dad's an engineer and has come up with an idea i'm going to push forwards with. gonna mod the whole thing it quite a bit, got an elite case its going in, looking for ideas and such, looks like i've come to the right place :)

Good Luck on your project! And Welcome to the forums! :D
We're all here to help if you have any questions, and be sure to put up a WIP thread to show us all the progress!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Almurray42 wroteColon
timmyfingaz wroteColonWOW great work :) thanks for the inspiration to home make my own water cooling system for my 360. i looked into it and was going to spend £165 which is 3x more than i paid for the rrod jtagable xenon xbox. thinking of a slightly different design now my step dad's an engineer and has come up with an idea i'm going to push forwards with. gonna mod the whole thing it quite a bit, got an elite case its going in, looking for ideas and such, looks like i've come to the right place :)

Good Luck on your project! And Welcome to the forums! :D
We're all here to help if you have any questions, and be sure to put up a WIP thread to show us all the progress!

I second the welcome! Looking forward to seeing your project and hearing your thoughts. You've definitely come to the right place!

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 am

thanks for the warm welcome guys :) i've started a thread come and have a look when u got a few mins, gonna try and get it in my signature, cheers :)
Custom Watercooled 360 - WIP - http://forums.phenoptix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584
PC (at the mo) - Gigabyte GA41M - CPU Q9550 - 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw 1333 DDR3 - Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - GTX560ti - Custom Water Cooled (to build)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm

So, a small amount of progress has been made on this , due to splitting my time between this and my new controller.....oh and my family!! ;)
I found out a suitable test board, didn't want to ruin my JTAG if it all went horribly wrong.

All bolted up and fixed in to place in a slightly modded cage.

Always like to open the holes underneath the cage right out so that the bolts have clearance and are not pushing against anything and creating tension on the board.

Got bored and decided to cut out the entire back grill as its not really needed and is only another thing for the pipes to pass through.

Now this next bit is in no way approved by health and safety at all. I connected up the pipes and taped the pipes upwards against a height gauge and then filled them with water. After checking for any obvious leaks, i cautiously turned on the Xbox and lo and behold it works. No sparks,flames or explosions!
Admittedly this is just with standing water but i left it sitting for 5mins or so and you could feel a change in temp in the water once i poured it back out so it is definately working!!

All thats left to do now is buy a pump (probably a small Phobya unit) and give it another 'pumping' test run and then fit is all up into the JTAG and then maybe hook up some temp readouts, adjustable fans etc etc..............

timmyfingaz
Average
PostsCOLON 38
LocationCOLON Herts, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby timmyfingaz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm

great news on the no leak situation :) looking cool bro can see it coming together now, keep up the good work :)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Looking rather good.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Mmmm, cheers guys. It probably would have nearly been finished, but have a had a right week of it. Two broken springs on the wifes car (bloody british roads), and leaking rad on my car. :cry:

Return to