DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Postby bigal344 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:56 pm

So i thought it was about time that i at least started the thread on this little project, it all started with a seemingly normal conversation with a certain someone about watercooling a 360 with something a bit like this.

So, i dug out an old motherboard from my not insubstantial pile of dead or dying 360 boards, and proceeded to make up a template for a waterblock, buying one would be to easy, and mark out roughly the relative positions of everything, i don't really work with much of a plan and tend to do alot of stuff as i go along!!

After finding a suitable large block of alloy, copper may be a better conductor but we haven't got any and its a pig to machine, i machined out a block to the correct sizes.

And then machined out a pocket in the centre, in retrospect i may have been better of leaving some directional fins inside to a) break up the transit of water, forcing it to swirl and cool more and b) to increase the overall surface area.

I then drilled out 8 holes on the rear and tapped them out to suit my favorite heatsink replaceement bolts, M5 that is and trial fitted it to the board using nylon and flattened steel washers between the board and heatsink itself.

I have got a fair bit more done, but its late and i'm tired, I will continue the build asap.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: DIY Watercooled Xbox 360

Postby phenoptix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 am

:o Looks great! Can't wait to see more!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Next up was a quick mock up of the cover plate, the idea is that i'm going to machine a groove around the top edge of the waterblock and put some very small countersunk bolts, i had some thin black perspex lying around so i cut a piece to fit and offered it up.

I managed to pick up a second hand dual 120mm radiator for the sum of £10, and after a bit of sanding and gloss black paint, it came up looking like new! :D

Next up i found some well priced fans, in the form of some Arctic Cooling 120mm fans, these run at a fairly sedate pace, but seem to move a pretty good amount of air, no fixings yet, i'll work on that later.

Now these fans came with a load of power control and connections allow for fan speed control via a motherboard, but i don't wnat any of that at the moment, so i cut them all off and spliced the wires.
After a quick test with my trusty 12v power source, i had some correctly wired fans and a very well cooled 360. :D

Now, here is my reservoir, its a dual bay job, with two rear connections and four holes at the rear for LED's, this is going to sit on the lower shelf of my black glass tv stand, inbetween the PS3 and my soon to be painted, high gloss 360, it'll have either blue coolant with blue LED's, or clear with blue LED's, whichever looks better!!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Now that is just sexy
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:19 pm

Why thank you sir, it'll be even better when i get the time and money to get the damn thing finished!!! :D

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Its always better to take your time then to rush. This is something im eager to see finished plus you now have the added plus of most xbox phats and all slims being jtagged ish with the glitch hack and i think this would just finish it off nicely mate
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:24 pm

This is very true, i've always said that the watercooling project will be done on a budget and at my own pace, whenever i get time.
However it deos get a bit frustrating seeing all the shiny bits gathering up, and the temptation is always there to hurry it along so to speak!!
The 'reset glitch' is very interesting, and i nearly went out and bought some kit to do it, although i'm glad i didn't as there are now a multitude of cheaper 'kits' that will do it, and the process is being refined all the time, i'm looking forward to the fact that i will be able to use the couple of xboxs i've got with corrupt or missing keys!!! :D :D

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Managed to grab a bit of time at work to start machining the grooves in for the sealing rubbers, this is just one side done with an odd section of rubber partially laid in to check the depth.

A low down view with the block still clamped to the cube, all to depth now , just needs cleaning up and the shorter sides machined on.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:27 pm

It's going to be a cracking end product. Any plans for monitoring the temp?

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Its getting there now, i've nearly finished machining the seal grooves in, just need to drill and tap a series of M3 holes around the edge, although due to my lack of planning (none really), i haven't got alot of room to play with so its gonna be tight.
I have been considering a small LCD panel in the front somewhere, its going on my black JTAG, so there's no DVD drive to worry about. I've seen some small coloured monitors with sensors for around £15.
But i may try and be clever (usually a recipe for disaster :roll: ) and come up with something that incorporates the HDD activity LED's and maybe individual CPU/GPU temp as the Freestyle dash monitors these and case/HDD temps somehow!!

Return to