XBOX 360 Controller LED Swap

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
Leon1311
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am
LocationCOLON Lekkerkerk, The Netherlands

Re: XBOX 360 Controller LED Swap

Postby Leon1311 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:27 am

Thnx for the advice.

I use special print solder so that allready has some flux in.

I have gotten myself a real fine set of tweesers and an magnifying glas with light in it so using these i found it easier looking if connections are good adn easier placing the leds proper.

So far i have done 3 controllers now which all went well and i'm starting on controllers for my friends now.

I do have a question though, i f*ed up solder points on my first 2 controllers and want to fix that.

I figured i can glue the led on its place and then soldering wire onto the led.

Is this the way? what wire would i need? and can anybody give me direction how i will know where to start the wires from?

Thnx for any help and advice.

Phenoptix youre a fast shipper and i love these products !!!

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Cheers Leon! We try our best to get stuff out as orders come in.
I wouldn't use glue to keep the LED down as it might cover the contacts on the LED. With a lifted/knackered point you can usually see where the point attaches to the trace (the little lines on the board). You need to expose the copper in the trace then use a thin strand of copper wire, usually one from a multicore wire or something like that to connect the trace to the LED. I usually find that only half of the pad is knackered. Let me know how you get on!

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 pm

I agree, you may even be able to drag the solder from the exposed copper rather than fiddling with a small piece of wire.
I always cut a very thin piece of tape to hold the LED down.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 am

It's always a bonus if you can do it with just solder!

sasarchiver
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Postby sasarchiver » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:20 am

i got 25 these, man there bloody small lol thats gonna be tricky

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am

just take your time and be preprepared to lose some lol i remember my first one, i got 50 smd's and used/lost 20 of them :oops:
but i made all my mistakes on that one, everyone ive done after has taken 10min and not lost any, well maybe 1 in every 5 pads or rol but that ok with me.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 am

It takes a little while to get used to their size! I always recommend a clean desk and working over a hard floor, that way you've got some chance of finding them when they drop, not much but a little!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 am

for the price and shipping time from you guys, if i drop them i leave them :lol:
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

chipxtreme
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Postby chipxtreme » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Just done blue led swap on both my controllers and for some reason neither one is working :?

Soldering is perfect and leds are correct polarity, common ground to top of board (CG2)

The controllers both still work fine on the 360 but for some reason aren't lighting up.

I know the next bit I tried isn't really recommended but I connected battery pack up to ground point and 3v point direct to the via point that powers the led and each one lights up as expected proving they are all soldered in correctly.

Any ideas?

[Edit] I'm a tool after all that f***ing about turns out that it wasn't working because the batteries were low! I plugged the remote in with the play & charge kit and it lit straight up. Haven't tried the other one but I presume it works fine too. Bit $hit that once the battery starts dropping the leds turn off but will have to live with it I suppose.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 pm

You'll find our blues are lower switch on voltage than most, but it is frustrating I know when the LEDs turn off before your controller does. Most that I've done just dull but I could be a slightly higher switch on voltage in the current batch.

Return to