XBOX 360 Controller LED Swap

Articles and posts on soft modding XBOX 360s, no chat on back ups and hacking!
jonny
Below Average
PostsCOLON 20
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: XBOX 360 Controller LED Swap

Postby jonny » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:54 am

little review of the product and tutorial from me. =)

Ive just finished doing this with the red SMD's i got from you guys. IT LOOKS GREAT.. =)
as it was the first time i had ever done this it was bound to go wrong.. :( the first one i did, i put on the wrong way, so had do get it off but by the time it was off, you would never have been able to guess what it was from the state it was in.. :( (thats why i brought 5 instead of 4 incase something went wrong.. )

I then was able to get through the next 2 okay but on the last one i managed to pull the solder point off the board somehow.. But i found a way around this.. i soldered it to the good side and then managed to slightly peel the wire strip off the board so it was peeled up abit; used the tiniest bit of wire and soldered the both together to make it work.

Overall i was quite pleased with the finished product and all lights up fine. and im also supriced that i managed to fix the last smd and proud of my self for it considering that ive only ever used a soldering iron once a few years ago in school.. :D

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Tue May 25, 2010 7:03 pm
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 am

Nice work.
I can't say I'm not jealous, all my RoL mods seem to go wrong. I solder them perfectly (i've had good practise) and I use flux but for some reason they never all light up and it's such a bitch!
So now I do the guide button mods :)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Quite strange Deary. I sometimes find one isn't down properly and they light up when I give them a prod. Are you mixing colours or anything like that?

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

No, I've tried all blue, all red, all other colours.
I've just given up, it's ok :P

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Cheers for the vid Gato! Love the vid as it links our ebay store! At first I thought he was a bit cheeky for using our image for the 0603s, but then he came good

Leon1311
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am
LocationCOLON Lekkerkerk, The Netherlands

Postby Leon1311 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 am

Hello everyone,

For me this was the first time ever holding a soldering iron and my experience is pretty similar to Johny's.

I f*ed up 2 led on my first controller and i got the top two working took me about an hour :oops: .

The second controller i only replaced the top left and bottom right ones which went faster and took about 5 to 10 minutes :P . the other two i'm replacing when i get my order in for some more colours.

I found that just taking the top of the controller works better for me, the bottom is a nice stable rest to work on, also instead of taking all the led's of in one go i replaced them one at a time, everytime checking wether it works or not, for this it is also handy to keep the bottom installed.

I found that for me the hardest part is taking the leds of proper, cos while doing that i scraped of the solder completely for two led's, is there a way to fix that and does anybody have good advice or tricks? I use a 15 W solder iron specially for computer boards..

and second, if i want to do the rol on my xbox which led would i need to use and does it work similar?

Thnx for the good service.

Leon

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Leon,
Sorry for the delayed reply, had illness in the office (and home!). For taking the LEDs off you want a nice big blob of solder that covers both of the solder points and the LED will just wipe off. If you have to put any pressure on it then you've probably not got a very good connection between the iron and the solder you want to remove. To help with this, clean your tip and "tin" it. Most irons ship with a sponge, which I've always found to be a bit rubbish. I recently bought a solder cleaning metal mesh thing, which really is excellent. Tinning the tip is just putting solder on it, the quicker you do it the better.
Recently I've had to remove a lot of SMD LEDs and found using two soldering irons is by far the best way. Better than SMD soldering tweezers even.

When you say scraped off the solder do you mean the pads are just lacking in solder or have you removed the actual pad? For the former, you can just tin your soldering iron and touch the pads, adding solder back to the board. If you've removed the pad you can repair them with a bit of wire. It's tricky but doable.

For the RF boards, you normally use 0603 LEDs the same as these but you have to solder them on their side and you need two LEDs per LED existing board, so you can get the error circuit. We should do a tutorial on it. I've got a new camera lens that need some work!

Leon1311
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 am
LocationCOLON Lekkerkerk, The Netherlands

Postby Leon1311 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Hee Phenoptix,

Thnx for youre reply'.

I got the other coloured led's in, you're a fast shipper!

I started on the controller with the working two blue led's and the other contacts not so good... started it up and found one of the led's got loose and did'nt work proper.

So i wiped that of with a blob of solder, went well.. and managed to get a red one on so that went well.

I made a picture of that board(iphone4) you see the bottom two are not so good anymore..

Encouraged i started on the next controller and after a frustrating hour i gave up for the day.. i did'nt get a single one working, messed up like 6 led's but i think the solder points on the board are still okay.

When i touch the led with my solder iron to get it on there it lights up just a bit, is that normal?

I do not understand why these last won't go on..

Deary65
Above Average
PostsCOLON 95
LocationCOLON SW England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Deary65 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:18 pm

You might want to invest in some flux. Either in a bottle or a flux pen from a shop such as Maplin.
Flux is used to help develop stronger solder joints but I find it also makes the solder 'stick' to where you want it to go.
Also, you may want to practise soldering the small LEDs on the RoL boards for the console. The controllers are more difficult in comparison.

Return to