bar code scanner

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
jpp
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:19 pm

bar code scanner

Postby jpp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Dear All

Does anyone have experience of creating a system to read barcodes? I am interested in both hardware & software. Why, you may well ask? Well, I want to be able to identify a particular model train at a particular place in a layout. I have tried RFID, but success is variable; so I am wondering about barcodes...

Jan

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Re: bar code scanner

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Jan,
Would be interested in this sort of set up too. We use a barcode scanner for shipping and have some spares. Would most likely be sensible to start with a raspberry pi as I expect there would be some support already. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 45&t=55100 seems to show one getting set up!

RorschachUK
Harmless
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: bar code scanner

Postby RorschachUK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:17 pm

You can buy a pretty cheap USB CCD scanner from eBay or Amazon, and maybe gut the handset so you can embed the working parts inside into a model building or something. USB scanners present as a keyboard, 'typing' the codes it scans, so a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black would make a great controller. Might be no more reliable than RFID as they go by at speed, though, and might be a shame to have to have barcode decals on your rolling stock. Maybe the barcode could go on the underside of the loco with the scanner's CCD optics embedded in the track facing up?

Could also try operating to a small timetable, then could detect that 'something' is passing by with a simpler scheme for detecting track occupancy, but infer from the database which loco that should be, and also use the timetable and track occupancy to drive realistic signalling from it too? If the models are of contemporary trains, driving everything from a timetable would also mean you could make little OLED platform departures displays & station clocks too.

Return to