As is customary

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
Ttaskmaster
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm
LocationCOLON Reading, Berkshire

As is customary

Postby Ttaskmaster » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Greetings all,

Tasky here, another newbie to the ranks. Just my quick Intro, as is the custom on forums...

The interesting:
Not much to tell on this front yet... I'm a complete Noob with electronics and do not have especially good motor control, but want to start making my own mods for my PC (I have several ideas based on Larson Scanners) and perhaps other projects if this interest takes off.

Just last night I tried my hand at a Velleman Running Light kit, did OK but took a while to get the hang of soldering and ultimately fluffed it up. I was probably using the wrong soldering tip to start with and ended up burning the copper pad off the PCB!!
By the end I also had one pad still unoccupied and a weird leftover component that wasn't even mentioned in the instructions. All in all, not a great first venture into this stuff.

I decided I needed to learn more, so bought myself the Electronics For Dummies e-Book and then signed up here!
I know what a PCB, LED, resistor and a potentiometer look like. Beyond that, I'm a fresh start and an empty head!

The not-so-interesting:
I ride a 1980s motorcycle, play drums, practice historical martial arts with medieval weaponry and bare fists, run around with heavy belt-fed machine guns and pocket artillery, play computer games, watch movies, read books, cook food and occasionally remember to dust the top shelf.
I am married and we have one boy, one girl... both of whom are Border Collies that we rescued!

So yeah, I look forward to pestering you with whatever Noob questions I cannot answer with the Search feature and hope to learn & share much with you all!!

Best regards,
Tasky.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Re: As is customary

Postby Rich » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome to the forum.

I remember my first soldering project, I was a teenager and ordered a ZX81 in kit form. I managed to solder it all together ok but it didn't work and I had to send it off to be fixed. I never did find out what the problem was.

Anyway stick at it, your enthusiasm will carry you through.

Rich

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Welcome to the forums! Hope we can help you on your journey to filling your head somewhat. Please never be afraid to ask Noobish questions. I was very nearly flamed to death today for thinking Java and Javascript were the same thing! We're all Noobs in many many fields.

Ttaskmaster
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm
LocationCOLON Reading, Berkshire

Postby Ttaskmaster » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks guys!!

Cor, a ZX81... I had the 48K (and later a 128) myself, but would never have been able to assemble that one... I can just about cope with building a modern PC!! :lol:

I'll be posting a few bits soon, but first I'm off to trawl the threads here and start learning some terminology, at least so I'll have a better idea of how to describe my plans beyond, "A thingumy, connected to a wotsit that does blah and outputs to the hoojimaflip and makes the flashy things flash"!!

See you around,
Tasky.

Return to