3D Printer for under £50? - YUP! bringing 3D printing to all

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: 3D Printer for under £50? - YUP! bringing 3D printing to

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Think we might be watching the largest kickstarter in history here
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

It's got some mean coverage, mashable and BBC article in the first week. Could be giant!

Also I saw this on +G http://makibox.com/blogpost/items/makibox_smooth_print_public_demo_and_scribble don't know if it was the seed that started this or it's a previous creation sans kickstarter.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 pm

phenoptix wroteColon
Also I saw this on +G http://makibox.com/blogpost/items/makibox_smooth_print_public_demo_and_scribble don't know if it was the seed that started this or it's a previous creation sans kickstarter.

That does look very much like the same idea and I'm guessing within a month we get an influx of the same concept coming to kickstarter due to people wanting to either
1 make money
or
2 make it better

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 am

I think the concept has been around for a couple of years. I have certainly seen something very similar to what was linked above, quite some time ago. I think the problem has been cost and how to implement it and make it work.

These guys have obviously nailed it and its prob in partial thanks to the whole 3D printer community and designers who keep perfecting extruders and their drive systems more and more and the modders who make them that little bit better.

This project has just gone past $1Mil in under 3 days!!! They have already doubled the size of their October batch and now created another 6000 for December and are saying they WILL ship in time for Xmas if you have got on either the October or December batch. I guess the next will be Feb next year or possibly a few weeks later due to holiday shutdowns.

Im excited over this one, for the money and the design its a winner and they are wisely knocking most "requests" for changes away saying that its something they will consider but will be implimented on a 2nd model. Very wise! These guys dont need to "Bribe" the pledges with upgrades and addons, they will sell a huge number even if they didnt change a thing from the current mk5 prototype (2nd fully working I think).

It looks like these guys have been watching Kickstarter and other 3D printers and electronic gadgets and picked their moment well, missing the Chinese new year and getting in nicely between 2 high volume selling 3D printers that ALOT of people would of wanted but could not afford, this gives them an extreamly affordable alternative and the price point is absolutely spot on IMO.

Good for them and I hope this kickstarts more people getting into the 3D printer community and creating more things on thingiverse and also refining printing on full size printers like the Mendel and Replicator etc which will allow custom extruders and hot ends with out any serious modding.

The 3Doodle im sure is going to be here to stay! This is going to be this/next years Raspberry Pi once it hits retailer sites, exactly as the Pi did. Initial sales for the very first batch of Pi's that were ordered December 2011 and shipped March/April 2012 were 8000 units I believe as it had no real advertising and it scooted under the radar at first till people started getting them and review sites were sent them to review and everyone went WOW and took to the social networking sites and the 2nd batch of 8000 sold in under an hour if I remember rightly! I think the same will happen here, ALOT of people don't know about kickstarter and don't trust how it works (for obvious reasons) but I am 100% sure that this will go stellar once it hits general release next year!

As I said, this is going to be the year of the 3D printer (and pen)!
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

I said a while ago about having an all in one machine, laser, mill, 3D printer would be an amazing bit of kit and having the 3 to be easily change would make it one kit that every maker/hacker would want and use, well with this it looks like we have found the perfect partner for the 3d side.

The mill would be a Dremel and a laser is easy to add to it just needs more power to run then this for the printer.

Just need some kind to click and change system or have all 3 on a rotating head. should cut, mill, print the same thing on the fly.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 am

My Pro Mendel is set up for 3 hot-end's and cooling systems on the X carriage, it wouldn't be a huge feat in engineering to have a print head on one side and a Dremmel based mill on the other, it would just be a matter of retracting or lowering one of the units. The laser is where its going to get seriously complicated.

I think the price would be far higher then actually buying 3 separate machines. Also it would need to be pretty big to house all the equipment etc..

Still it would be a pretty sweet machine.

I dont ever really need the use of a CNC Mill, projects I get into tend to require either plastic molded or printed parts and/or laser cut materials. The only thing I think I would need a CNC Mill for would be for etching my own PCB's (which would actually be quite handy) and creating parts from Aluminum and such.

Am just starting my saving up for a 300x200 max cut size desktop laser cutter (they call them desktop but they are far bigger then you expect!
Am planning on buying in around July/August. I would never need a cut over 300x200mm so its pretty good that there are options out there for smaller hobby size cutters. I think in a year or two that these will also drop in price like 3D printers have the past year or so.

I have heard that you can buy an A4 Laser cutter on eBay for around £800, however all instructions and software etc are in Chinese, there is no lock or even a catch on the lid so a (really stupid person) could open it mid cut and potentially loose a few fingers, a hand or worse!, it has no real fume extraction except a piddly little 120mm fan and a place to add a 120mm duct to it, has no emergency stop button or any key, a totally in-efficient cooling system and all the IC's inside it are DIP and mounted in sockets rather then soldered in place so one or more could quite easily shake free, obviously no EU safety standards and the entire case is secured by 6 cross head screws so again it could actually be removed mid cut and do all sorts of nasty things!

BBC's CLICK said it all pretty well really, it is the age of building, modding and hacking of existing products to make them better and creating our own products with most things possible these days in your home, workshop or local makerspace/hackerspace (as Ben has done several times now) which is something I am planning on doing very soon with a concept I have worked from the ground up, using a tiny little ABS plastic casing with a pretty simple but seriously useful circuit fitted inside. Protos will obviously be printed and all betas too. Final finish will depend on numbers and if enough people go for it then it may be easier overall to have the 2 part casing made up with injection molding. I will run some beta's with people once I get the boards printed (they are so small its costing me about £40 for around 200 of the things!! (I only wanted 10 to start with but this was far cheaper with the same company. Components are SMD's but nothing too small... I think this could be one for kickstarter or indigogo. Hopefully I can make a little money towards my laser.

3Doodle is slowing down now but still selling one a min or so. They are releasing 7000 a month from October onwards and they are well into Febuary 2014 already! Am so happy Im in the first 500 on the $75 October option.
I hope these guys have got patents and copyrights in place as we are going to start seeing similar but absolute crap models popping up from Chinese sellers on ebay in a couple pf months.
I cant see the point in something so small and intricate that would be seriously difficult to source parts for and build yourself being open source hardware. I haven't seen it mentioned so I guess (and hope) they have their designs well protected from other companies jumping on the 3Doodle bandwagon!
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Excellent work on the Mendel Vimesy! As for patents China wouldn't respect them anyway. All new technology will be cloned and cloned quickly!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:07 pm

That's a shame. Its a real pain that the Chinese manufactures pay no attention to international patents and copyrights yet companies based their that produce highly popular products for the retail market keep their code and hardware hidden as best they can by covering IC's and in some cases all components on a PCB with black resin and drastically alter the shape of certain parts to make them harder to copy, then when someone else does produce something similar they sue the crap out of them through the US court system.

I wont be surprised to see 3Doodle clones and similar products first hitting eBay in a couple of months and maybe even weeks (they have the tech to produce anything en-mass VERY quickly over there in huge factories). It wont be long after that UK/US large eBay stores with regular online stores too selling the copies and shipping from within the UK and US then its just a matter of time till a few of the large online retailers that sell electronic gadgets pick up on the hype and find themselves a tasty distribution/retail deal and start knocking them out as a "Unique Product".

I don't care, im waiting for my 3Doodle whatever happens and again when they release a Rev2 with updated features some time next year, I will buy that one too even if there are cheap suppliers already selling the same.

Return to