3D Printer for under £50? - YUP! bringing 3D printing to all

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

3D Printer for under £50? - YUP! bringing 3D printing to all

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

HOW did no one think of doing this sooner?
These guys have built a HANDHELD 3D printer that uses 3mm PLA AND ABS and is the same size roughly as a Dremmel!
It just has a small stepper for driving the filament and the X, Y and Z are all down to your hand!
Its an insane litle thing but its bloody fantastic!

LINKY : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351910088/3doodler-the-worlds-first-3d-printing-pen

For $75 or $99 (Depending on accessories) you can pledge and they are promising delivery before October! It has been a full year in development and they are (thank goodness) outsourcing the building and pretty much all production to a company geared up for this type of production line constructed tech (unlike RoBo 3D who think they can build 900 custom 3D printers with additional crap like plastic surround etc..)

This little beauty literally makes 3D printing available to pretty much anyone! You can make some awesome models by hand and I guarantee that by the time this is released, there will be a whole selection of mini CNC kits with the Steppers and a mount for the pen and mod for the extruder control along with some basic software for making tiny little creations!

I was up all night and spotted this go on at about 5am (I have an alert app that lets me know when a new Tech or Design project is listed since I lost out bigtime by missing an early bird)

When I went to the page there was about 50 pledges in the early bird which got you the whole $75 kit for $50 but by the time I had read the description/front page and went back to pledge, the remaining 50 or so early birds had gone and there was already over 200 pledges in the $75 kit and $99 kit!!!

I pledged on the $75 kit as for that money its crazy not to, just incase this really does turn out as good as it looks! Its ideal for patching and building bridging on models on my Mendel and can literally be done on the fly without pausing the printing.

Right now, 18 hours in and its at $242k and 2760 backers (almost all buying a 3D Doodle!)

Its going to easily break current kickstarter records and I can see it hitting $10Mil+ without a problem. Hopefully the creators will either cap the project and run a 2nd phase or they keep capping on numbers to be supplied on various dates.
This product will be HUGE and now its out there, it will only be a matter of months till other companies start making hand held 3D Pens (not really a printer technically)

As I have said before, last year saw the serious boom in 3D printers and this year will see printers being available to most people (although that means there will be about 90% of printers made being crap and made from cheapest parts available.

Check it out on KickStarter...
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Re: 3D Printer for under £50? - YUP! bringing 3D printing to

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:34 am

Holy crap! This thing has gone up over $35k in an hour!!! This will easily hit the $5Mil mark!
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 am

That looks amazing and at that price it can't fail........ Looks like everyone else thinks the same to, think I might have to find some money to put down on one.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 pm

My diy cnc will hold a dremel 300 and this is about the same size so I'm guessing it won't take to much effect to change them over and hay presto a mini 3D printer with X Y Z controlled by the mill ;)

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 pm

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I guarantee that the are a ton of mods and hacks for it including how to mount it up as a PLA 3D printer (ABS would be tough as it would need a heated bed,

Everyone should get one of these, its an amazing concept for stupid money!

Of course it could be awfull once released but judging on the demos that have been done by people who have never used it, it looks pretty solid to me.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:22 pm

I've got to get me one of them, I can see great things being done with one.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I would pledge now as they may decide to cap sales on first release and/or increase prices for latecomers (unlikely but has been done before), you dont need any money yet, you just go through the Amazon checkout and it sets a payment up for the day the campaign ends. You can pull out at any time before the end.

I think it will be great fun to build little 3D models and also really useful for bridging and building supports while printing on my Mendel. Also great for repairs and touch ups to larger models coming off the Mendel.

Would also work for filling little molds I reckon.

For £50 im in on it for sure!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 pm

I've just done it :) $85.00 about £55 ish now I can't wait

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:15 pm

The other good thing is that the creators knew it would be insanely popular so have plans in place for all kinds of sales senarios including backup manufactures and the manufactures actully being prepared for the amount of units that are likely to sell!

Hopefully this little beauty will break the 3D Printer Kickstarter curse and actully arrive with people in October and not next year!!!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Yeah sorry, forgot to account for postage outside US. Still £55 inc international postage is still darn great! As the tech sites and channels pick this up it will go insane! I can see it hitting the $10mil mark quite easily!

Return to