3D Printers

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Re: 3D Printers

Postby xanthic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah, noticed that. Is a bit of a problem with Open Source. Difficult to let your hard work go out into the field and possibly have someone make more money from it than you or improve it and ding your ego...

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am

Here's an article on a 3D printed robot. Designed in Blender, runs on Arduino - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/30/3d_printed_robot/ All open source too.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm

It was the fact that it is such a massively used design that swung it alot. The Mendel has been out for a while but this version (Pro Mendel) is less then a year old so has all the best parts from older Mendels and some new and more up to date parts on it too.

The Multi Colour/Material kit is another huge bonus! Currently you only see that kind of tech on the high end super high tech gear! When its released in a couple of months it will be awesome and will literally bolt on to the Pro Mendel (It will go on other RepRap Mendels and other self built kits too but will require custom fittings etc..) The Pro Mendel was designed with this add on in mind so has all the fixing points, extra connections on the control board and everything else to just bolt it on, refine the fitting to ensure it prints right and load the software, create a 3 colour object and off it goes...

@Ben At least I will have mine soon and I can finally pay back any laser cutting favors you have done for me over the last year by printing anything you need! until till your able to buy your own. Also the great thing about RepRap is that the printers are designed to be able to make their own parts, so when you are ready to get your own, I can run your Plastic parts off on my printer and save you the £100 they knock off if you have access to a printer and can get them made.

Am super excited and cant wait to get the call to say its ready for collection. They reckon a weekend to build and then the time to dial it in just right varies and will also need adjusting over time as parts wear etc (but most can be re-made on the printer!). So hopefully 2 days building and 2 days or so of burning through the 100m of filament to get it dialed in to print to a fair standard and then its just going to be small tweaks to just get objects slightly smoother and better looking.

Some of the stuff I have seen that has come off the Pro Mendels is of the same quality as printers costing 2 or 3 times as much and not that far off alot of top end hobbiest machines (that are all based on the Mendel or Prusa design anyway!) I don't know how it will go against Makerbot Replicater 2 as that thing is insanely fast and accurate BUT is £2000! so if my models look half as good then that's a damn good result!
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:14 pm

xanthic wroteColonYeah, noticed that. Is a bit of a problem with Open Source. Difficult to let your hard work go out into the field and possibly have someone make more money from it than you or improve it and ding your ego...

The point really with Open Source is adherence to the licence - you can use, replicate share and even make money from the product but all you have to do is attribute it to the original source if you don't then all you are doing is ripping it off. Not using it as open source as intended. There would have been no issue if they'd have just said, this is cool and we're making it and it's based on these designs.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah thats the flaw with open source unfortunatly.

The RoBo 3D original design that they had "locked in" when their Kickstarter started was a mesh of two popular open hardware printers, one being the Prusa (cant think what the 2nd was, it may even of been a Mendel).
They were selling well as it was 2 tried and tested designs that everyone trusts, now the thing is a total hybrid of about 5 or 6 different units and I foresee some BIG compatibility issues. The one other thing I have noticed is that it looks like the Robo team are using photographs of prints that are either slightly out of focus or even possibly cleaned up in Photoshop, they have been very reluctant to publish any but 1 or 2 macro/high detail images of their prints and clear photos are all at a fair distance from the object... I think they are having serious problems, they have only published 4 sets of model images over the 6 week campaign and the bigest set were posted on day 1 from the original design of the printer. All other campaigns like it get as many progress photos as possible out there but not these guys... Im pretty sure there isnt even a video of the printer printing since the one they posted on day 1, for all we know they dont have a working machine yet.

The Delta is a nice printer but as you said is a gloryfied copy of an existing open hardware project and they are running a high price tag on it.

Blender is definatly a tool of choice for printing and I hate to say it but Google Sketch Up is another (and is meant to be ideal for more basic models). I will play with a few studios over the coming weeks and hopefully be ready to hit START PRINT when my Mendel is ready. It is going to be a steap learning curve!

One thing is sure, this is defiantly going to be the year of the 3D printer and sales are going to go through the roof! It seems like every company is making them now almost as if they have to... And once again I think that's a great reason to own a hand built customisable printer from a very active company as upgrades will become available and it will be a matter of changing a few parts or the control board easily rather then struggling to hack/mod a molded cased printer with fitted parts.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 pm

This is where I think crowd funding is flawed. I think its great for stuff like RoboBrrd, EVE, Electronics ideas like the Hot Pi, Pic n' Duino, and even things like magazines (I went in on the MagPi campaign as its a great online mag and will be awesome in hardcopy) and also they are great for not tech projects (not that I have ever spent any time looking through any that are not in the tech sections...

I think these sites are flawed as alot of these makers know that they are not going to get their product out in time but keep that from donors till after the money has been transfered then they can get away with allsorts including changing designs, massive delays, changing reward packs, using cheaper parts and so on...

Personally I think projects should be capped at £100 with all projects exceeding £100 on a per unit price going through MUCH tighter screening with alot of proof and business plans to prove they can deliver. I also think that once a project exceeds a certain % of units sold/ordered over the original goal, then they should then be capped and have to re-submit the idea to run a 2nd round of pledges with a revised delivery date and re-checked by the site or a 3rd party to assess the chances of them making it.

The RoBo 3D is yet another example of where this would of protected buyers from false info. They only had 1 prototype unit which worked at the start, they have changed the design so many times that its now a totally different printer and they have NOT proved the revised design even works...
They also started the project expecting 50-100 sales and were going to build, test, callibrate and ship all of them with just their team of 3 (all have full time jobs too). Now they have 9 or 10 times the number of printers to build and are saying that they can still deliver ontime without any extra staffing or (which would be best) outsourcing the construction and testing to a 3rd party.
I am betting people will still be missing printers this time next year and will be pissed as by then there will be better printers with newer tech down at the same price but buyers will have their $600+ tied up in RoBo 3D...

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm

You just made a payment of
£499.00 GBP
to finance@reprappro.com

No going back now!!! Now its down to counting the days...

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

You've got 20 days max to learn 3D CAD! Seriously though, all the best with it. Looking forward to seeing some prints.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am

Update on the multi colour/plastic system...
They released it late this afternoon (an hour after I ordered the printer) as a beta with 50 units and sold out in an hour.
Kind of sad I missed it but Im thinking I should most likely get to grips with 1 colour/plastic type per model first before trying out 3 colour builds or ABS/PLA hybrid designs.

Am hopefully going to be on the next batch of orders for which there is a 40 day lead time for RepRapPro to get the individual pieces and custom parts made (inc some self rep parts from their printer farm) so its likely to be April/May before I get the extra kit (£200 for the 2 extra hot bits and motors that drive the filament, updated control board (I think mine actually has this board fitted already that just needs the firmware updating to the 3 colour version, so that should knock some money off or I can sell one to a RepRap builder), and all the cables fixings and extras. A good sized, reasonably quick and accurate 3D with 3 Colour/Material printer for £698... Amazing! The Makerbot Rep2 X2 is playing around with 3 colour printing but no where near ready to go on the retail Rep2's yet.

Here are some stock photos of the Mendel and the half sized Huxley that uses all the same gear but on a smaller frame and bed. All these are customer submissions, most are alot better then various £1000+ machines results I have seen.
http://reprappro.com/Gallery

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

Well done on your order now its down to the hard part of waiting (which is the worst part)
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

Return to