3D Printers

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: 3D Printers

Postby dec0y7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Loving the pics matey, nice job.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 am

Finished the last of the mechanical bits today by installing the filament feed motor and its geared and pretty odd way of pushing the material through into a Bowden through a brass tip on each end and out into the heated assembly and hot end.
Also installed the Heater electronics systems ready to be connected to the high current outputs on the Melzi.

This kit so far has been an easy build, it takes a while and you need a good set of tools (which I luckily do) but its all well documented in the build notes... UNTIL you get to the Extruder and hotend parts which are the new versions they have just released to match the 2 extra sets in the Tri-colour kit.
As such they haven't actually written any instructions beyond a brief 6 line description of basically what it should look like finished and with photos some of which are of the old version and useless and some are of another printer, their huxley which despite having the same hot end, is still very different.
It wouldn't be so bad if these 2 parts were not the most important of them all! Its ALL down to 0.01mm measurements and having stuff line up with about a 1% margin of error on a 2mm (inside diameter) tube which has a 4mm external diameter and attaches at both ends to brass fittings that are screw ons but are made for 3mm tubing not 4mm so you have to very carefully shave bits of to make it fit and even then it crushes the tube enough to jam it and no allow anything to feed. THEN just to make it even worse, the filiment has to run through a 2mm hole in the back of the driver through a bearing and gripper wheal to push it on and then through 2 inches of ~2mm tunnel which has been printed in rather then drilled after printing so as you can imagine, its not very smooth and in a lot of places its too narrow and others too wide, it then has to cover about 10mm with no support (so you had better of straitened the first inch of filament in order for it to cross the gap abd into the crushed tube.
Basically its a jamming nightmare and I got pieces of PLA used for testing holes and gaps, stuck several times, the worst being when it snapped about 5mm into the driver assembly about 5mm before hitting the exit hole! I tried everything to sort it and in the end had to resort to hitting a 1.5mm hex/Allen key down the whole with a hammer! Nothing else would even move it a single mm.
After that I decided to drill the entire tunnel to 2mm and that seemed to work, I also ended up having to screw the brass fittings onto the 4mm tube and then drill out the distance + a few mm of the tube where it runs through the threding and managed to open those up just enough to get it running through ok, I also had to step all the joints with 5 different drill bits from 2mm to 5mm so that where holes and tunnles met there was a kind of internal cone so if the filament is off center or is a section where it has a piece which is a little over 1.75mm, it now allows the plastic to slide through nicely and keeps lining its self up every time it changes its carrier.

The final stretch is the worst where it comes through the cooling section of the extruder and into the hot end. it has to pass from a precision aluminium cube, into a steel tube (which has the nozzle on the end and is the bit that gets very hot) via another brass tube leading into the block from the Bowden. I wont go into details but it was a nerve racking task!

Once they get the new instructions done them im sure it will be fine but that driver assembly needs work, they need to drill that tunnel and not print it in. Ie would make life ALOT easier!

Anyway pics are up on my fickr and tomorrow is the final day of building and is just attaching all the wires to the board and the PSU to the board then its all calibrating work and test prints to dial the settings in perfectly.

Its a tough job and not for the feint hearted. Its taken much longer then I expected and is super relient on precision work.

Other then those 2 sections the guide is awesome and easy to follow with pics of all the parts etc. It is also a fantastic printer and I cant wait to finally get printing!

Latest photos are on my flickr 3D printing set here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/nialpearce/sets/72157632775741601/
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 am

SHE LIVES!!!!

Fired up first time and the settings are not to far off what they should be to get a nice finish, its all config and firmware tweeks mostly.

Got a couple of Maker Bots that I made with the bed and plastic too hot so they warped although they still look pretty cool for a pair of Co@k ups, my final print of the night was a technical piece - a mounting point for 4 lengths of threaded bar goto on the very printer im printing it on, hence the term RepRap - Rapid Replicator, or basically designed so with the addition of some fairly easy to get hold of metal work and motors etc.. you can go on and make another Rep-Rap, this time cheaper as the main parts you make yourself.
If anyone is intending on buying a RepRap then let me know and I will print the 3 trays of parts off over 3 evenings and you can just pay for the filament.

As usual I have posted latest pics on my Flickr, Twitter and Face Book.

Twitter - https://twitter.com/RaW_Gaming

Flickr Build log & Models : http://www.flickr.com/photos/nialpearce/sets/72157632775741601/

FaceBook (State your a Phenoptix forum user in friend requests) : http://www.facebook.com/nial.pearce1

Video of Frame Brace being printed - note the Kapton tape, not really needed with a clean bed but I forgot to go and buy some acetone to clean the glass to allow the printed plastics to loosely bind with it. It actually works quite well even when applied quickly and poorly like I did.

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151434827248680
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Yesterday removed and reseated the whole Y assembly and the heated print bed, re-alligned everything and re-calibrated and am now getting the results I was expecting! Something must of been off as I just printed a difficult model and it came out near perfect with 0.38mm layers!!! My monster PC is currently crunching the stl with skeinforge to give it a go with 0.2mm, if that works then the detail will be awsome and 0.1mm printing in sight!!!

Only printed as a test and left some pink filament in the printer from making part of a mothers day gift, that Faberdashery sent me with my last order as a 10m tester. Typical that it turned out to be my best print yet!

Here is Pinky, its the Astro Bot figure from MAKE's range of mini bots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nialpearce/8537553562/in/photostream

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 am

I ran a metallic siver Astro Bot off in the end with 0.28mm layers (0.2mm had an ETA of 110Mins just to slice the file (as it needs alot of overhang support), turned out well and looks awesome. Now got a His and Hers pair! Still needs a little tooling in a few tiny spots and a quick buff with the dremmel polishing wheel and it should look sweet.

Check it out... Image

There is plently more printed stuff on my Flickr Page : http://www.flickr.com/photos/nialpearce

I can not recommend this printer any higher! Its just awesome, A bit of a build and takes a while to get used to it and adjust for certain things and to learn all the settings in Skeinforge, but once you get it right, it gives great results one after another. Cant wait for the Tri-Colour Kit to arrive and then this printer will be truly epic! Plus RRP have more additions planned for release this year once heavy QA and Beta testing is done and they are happy.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 am

They look great, I think I have one printed from the replicator 2 if you wanted to compare. I'll see if I can track it down!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 am

Yeah that would be good.
I have compared to several printed from a Rep1 and Ultimaker plus a few others around the $1000 -$1400 range and mine look better and some of the ones I compared with were done on 0.1mm layers (The Gold Standard).
The rep2 will most likely be better since they pretty much print at 0.1mm out of the box where as RepRap printers you have to put the work in to find all the sweet spots, but when you get it right it will print 0.1mm large prints really well and as good or better then most printers. I have 0.24mm and 0.3mm dialed in perfectly and have the configs all saved (which effects the print more then having a wonky frame or badly leveled Axis.
I will have 0.2mm dialed in for perfect prints in another day or two and will get down to 0.1mm before my tricolour kit arrives. Getting from 0.2mm to 0.1mm is ALL about the settings in your slicing program, again the Rep1 & 2 both have pre-set configs that will have you printing 0.3 or 0.2 on your first day due to every one being identical or close enough, RepRaps are the opposite and no 2 are the same!

Between a Rep1 and my RRP Mendel, I would choose my Mendel for alot of reasons.
If I Had the money spare to drop £2000 on a Rep2 then I might consider it but to be honest I think I would still go for my RR Pro Mendel with the Tri-Colour option and then spend the rest on upgrading all the plastic parts to injection molded ABS and upgrade some small but important bits within the drive systems, replacing ABS and PTFE parts with aluminium versions of couplers, belt guide wheels and the drive cogs attached to the motor spindles along with adding better drive belts so that the whole X and Y rive systems are toothed to avoid any slipping. Finally change the linear bearings and Y smooth rods out for professional ones. It all makes small improvements and adds up to enough to make 0.1mm layer printing flawless every time and obviously reduces the amount of parts that need inspecting and swapping out for new ones, redundant.
Then I would get one of the small print area printers like one of the PrintrBot range and have it running along side my Mendel which will do all the long complicated HQ prints and then the small one for printing parts and for printing all the Thingiverse things we all like. People under estimate those little printers, if I have money left after buying my laser over the summer or if for some reason I change my mind and dont buy one then I will prob buy a tiny PrintrBot just to mod the crap out of add some insane extruder/hotend system and use it for printing small things in great quality. It would mean having a printer free most of the time, both knocking out HQ parts and models and still have £500 spare!
IF however I had the funds for a Rep2X then I would prob go with it but would still be warey of the small print area and the fact that alot of the slicing software isn't optimised for the high print speed and quality that the 2X produces, its an impressive peice of kit and I am hoping there will be one at Newcastle for the UK Maker Faire, printing and with lots of examples. I do think its a little over priced as the enhancments over the rep2 are mostly cosmetic with a few upgraded parts in there too but it does print faster with the same acuracy and Allegably will print 80 Micron thick layers (0.08mm)... This however has also been achived on a selection of RepRap machines but only with heavily customised firmware, slicing software and Inection molded parts instead of printed.

Return to