SMD soldering

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: SMD soldering

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 am

All this smd reflow talk has influenced me - Just spent 60 Quid on a little hot air rework station and some 63%Tin 37%Lead Solder paste, but am still keen to find out how this goes! I wouldn't have the space to use a mini oven unfortunately!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 am

Sterling work Al! Think we'll all have to post our soldering set ups in the gallery once finished. I should get a WIP on the go for the oven. Thought it was rather appropriate that my Argos Value Range toaster oven appeared on the receipt as AVR Toaster Oven.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Almurray42 wroteColonAll this smd reflow talk has influenced me - Just spent 60 Quid on a little hot air rework station and some 63%Tin 37%Lead Solder paste, but am still keen to find out how this goes! I wouldn't have the space to use a mini oven unfortunately!

You wont regret it. I didn't realize how valuable of a tool my Hot Air station was till I got it and started using it. Its great for single sided and double sided with well spread out components. You can do highly populated single sided and double too but that requires some extras...
Previously I have used various methods for double sided boards with lots of components to prevent the board getting so hot that the solder on the other side melts and parts fall off. I ordered some Kapton film and a couple of reels of Kapton tape in 2 widths yesterday which amazingly arrived this morning and I think this will be mega helpful for keeping parts in place during hot air soldering double sided boards without long cooling periods after every few connections. Also great for the solder paste and for deflecting unwanted heat from parts.
I use 60/40 leaded paste, I know its not really liked by alot of people these days, it is by far better to work with on SMD's. I also use 0.8mm 60/40 solder with my pointy ended copper tip on my Iron which is great for alot of situations when hot air cant be used.
Using a Hot Air rework station for soldering takes some practice to get right, but it works really well when you get it right. There are some fantastic guides on youtube and I think there is an Adafruit video guide or it could be a Ben Heck video on Element 14. Its of someone soldering an Atmel ATMega168 32QFP IC with just air.

As I said my Kapton all arrived this morning so am going to give it a try for a few ideas later.
I have about 4 or 5 SMD project boards here (A Parallax Propeller SMD dev board kit with a 32pin QFP Prop Chip and a tiny 8Pin RTC, A Texas MSP430 Eval board kit, a few Dangerous Proto boards (An IR Toy PCB, an Arduino Shield PCB for my Bus Pirate and a Bus Pirate Demo Board) also I have about 20 of Bens Cylon v0.3 boards for some testing of Kapton. Some I have had for about 6 months and not got round to populating even tho I have all the parts. Im hoping using Kapton (which I had never even thought of using till Ben posted something yesterday) will make things much easier with some cleaver techniques...
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Here you go, this one has been heavily modded and made to look nice, but shows you can make a decent reflow oven from a cheap 2 slice toaster which takes up hardly any space and can be bought for around £8!!!
http://pickandplace.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/cheap-quick-and-dirty-reflow-oven/
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

Return to