SMD soldering

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Re: SMD soldering

Postby xanthic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Do you reckon you could use a gas powered hot air blower for this?

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm

xanthic wroteColonDo you reckon you could use a gas powered hot air blower for this?

A blowtorch? I wouldn't advise it as it can be easy to destroy component s that way, and they often burn too hot! I have first hand experience of ruining a board with one! :/
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm

I've got a gas soldering iron with a catalytic hot air blower. Not hot like a flame. Might give it a try with some old bits.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Had a little laugh at that tutorial, I saw it come up and thought, excellent timing - just what I was after! First thing was metal stencil then a reflow station! Nice low barrier to entry then! Hopefully this week I'll be trying a hand cut Kapton stencil with a £25 toaster oven lets see how that works! I could laser the Kapton but am becoming increasingly aware that every problem is beginning to look very much like a nail as the old saying goes.

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm

You've just how to work out how fire those hammers at the problem ;) I was hoping the hot air reflowing towards the end might be useful.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:57 pm

xanthic wroteColonI've got a gas soldering iron with a catalytic hot air blower. Not hot like a flame. Might give it a try with some old bits.

I see haha, must have misunderstood you!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm

I use a SMD Hot Air Reflow Station. Its pretty cool and great for working with paste on SOIC and QFP MCU's (Have done a load of 32pin MCU's and currently have some 44pins to do) its also good down to about 0603 2 terminal and SOT23 on 3 terminal packages with a steady hand, smallest air nozzle, temp up and the air pressure turned right down and part held in place with a decent set of sharp pointy ended SMD tweezers. Its got 5 sizes of nozzle, adjustable digital temp and air pressure.
The paste I use has so much flux in allready that melts long before the solder, I rarely need to use any separately.
I tend to use a combo of my Antex 25 Iron (with super fine point copper tip on) and my Hot Air Station. I am starting to put together more boards with SMD's these days as they save alot of space on boards and are cheaper then DIP which all keeps the manufacturing cost down, likewise there are more and more bits of kit coming out and down in price to work with SMD's which are getting smaller and smaller. I will most likely see what others do with ovens etc then copy the most successful one :lol:

Looking at the methods that Ben is, there are a ton of guides on making a toaster/mini oven into a good reflow oven with great results, you just need to be cautious with your temps using preferably an IR Spot Thermometer Gun (with laser dot for aiming) or using a couple of decent thermocouples placed well.
My buddy made a small reflow oven that works flawlessly from a Tesco Value toaster after seeing a guide to do it on the Indestructible site, it does work well but looks like crap and is NOT safe. Those £25-£50 toaster/mini ovens are perfect for the job providing they can heat and cool at as close to the re flow specs as poss.

Am ordering some Kapton today to try out after Ben posted or tweeted a link about someone using it for QFP IC's, it looks like a great solution for some of the trickier QFP chips out there with more legs and them closer together.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Got these bits hopefully arriving tomorrow from Farnell

1200289 1 EZ240D5 SSR EZ240D5
409194 1 AD595AQ AMP THERMOCOUPLE TYPE K, 3°C , 14DIP AD595AQ
7076186 1 Z2-T-2M (IEC) SENSOR, THERMOCOUPLE Z2-T-2M (IEC)

For controlling the temperature in the oven. The Thermocouple can be attached directly to the board so should give fairly good accuracy...

Using this tutorial from the reprap wiki http://reprap.org/wiki/Toaster_Oven_Reflow_Technique I'll keep you all abreast of my progress!

The hand cut Kapton was ok, if done in better light it would most likely work but I think lasering may be the way forward for me - I've tried my best not to...

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Postby dec0y7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Liking how this is going, thanks for keeping us updated.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87

Postby xanthic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 am

Nice guide and straight forward code. Fingers crossed for results!

Return to