Wire Strippers?

Welcome message and random chat. Topics we like are food, tv and games, but any will do.
bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Wire Strippers?

Postby bigal344 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:43 am

Can anyone recommend some high quality wire strippers, doing another project and I'm fed up with ones that slip or don't strip completely!!

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Wire Strippers?

Postby Almurray42 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm also looking for a decent pair, preferrably ones that can strip kynar wire too! ... Whatever you o don't by those crappy ones from eBay, mine broke after a week! :L
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Mine lasted a bit longer than that, but not much! :x
Adafruit recommend the Hakko ones, haven't been able to find them over here yet though.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:21 am

I use a Stanley quickslide knife for small wires but for bigger mains wires I use a cable cutter. Available from electrical wholesalers. They arn't side cutters but more powerfull and cut with a shearing action. The end bit of the jaws are shaped for stripping insulation. They are very sharp and until you get used to them you usually take some of the copper strands with the insulation, once you do though they are brilliant.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Ordered some of the Hakko ones from Adafruit. Should be in stock next week. Have been looking into distributing for Hakko, their stuff is rather nice.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Oh, I can't wait for them to come in. You wouldn't believe the b###dy nightmare I'm having trying to strip wire at the moment!!
My strippers will just about do larger core wires, but smaller 22 ish gauge wire is nigh on impossible, and I'm not skilled enough to do it with side cutters or a blade!!

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:44 pm

When dealing with 30AWG I tend to use a solder and snip method, it's not pretty! Burn off enough coating with your iron then solder it down and snip off from the reel. Repeat! Works quite well for doing SMD LEDs in parallel on two bits of kynar though! I tend to damage wire when doing it with side cutters or a blade and my lovely twisted wires end up being wasted. Very good call on requesting the Hakko ones!

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Yeah thats the method I got from yourself for doing SMD ladders, I believe you mentioned it back along on another thread.
30AWG is a bit of a pig to do anything else with, although I only tend to use it for smaller jobs in controllers and such, so absolute neatness is not always so important! ;)

Its probably a bit worrying but I am actually quite excited at the prospect of getting a new tool!! :oops:

Perhaps its a man thing.............

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Right there with you! Just ordered some tools for my bike and can't wait to get them. Also can't wait to receive the Adafruit tools! They've just arrived at Stanstead, hopefully with us tomorrow! (Maybe you on Saturday!)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 pm

That'd be great mate! Although I am at work all day tomoro!! :cry:
Gonna be a very long Saturday methinks, but looking forward to having a day to do some tinkering on Sunday!!
You'll have to let me know what I owe you once the Adafruit gear turns up mate! 8-)

Return to