MeArm v0.3 Instructions on Instructables!

Everything MeArm, right here!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

MeArm v0.3 Instructions on Instructables!

Postby phenoptix » Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 pm

A full and detailed set of build instructions for the MeArm v0.3 is available on www.instructables.com. If you want to leave feedback on them here or there is good.

The build instructions were made with a wooden version of the MeArm. We're not selling a wooden version at the moment as the one in the build had a few issues. Essentially the self tapping machine screws wouldn't hold in the material, I expect the thread isn't deep enough. We could experiment with smaller holes for the self taping parts. They're currently set at 2.6mm.

GastonLagaffe
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: MeArm v0.3 Instructions on Instructables!

Postby GastonLagaffe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Salut,
I just received my two additional meArm kits. The design of the joints of the parts has changed significantly with respect to the instructables guide. The parts now have joints that prohibit a build in the false order or orientation. Unless of course, you start with a reversed base plate for the waist. The the arm build in mirrored order and the arm will not work with whatever code you get from others.
I restarted the arm and took pictures which I will publish as soon as the arm is built.
I also got me micro servos with metal gear that are of the exact size as the shipped ones to replace the base servo. I will compare the effect on the stability of the arm.

Ciao, Mathias

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Yes, we designed the base so there's now only one wrong configuration! I'll get a revised guide for building the waist part.

GastonLagaffe
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 11

Postby GastonLagaffe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:21 pm

Salut,

I have built the two kits now. The assembly is documented on my web page: http://www.mathias-wilhelm.de/arduino/projects/phenoptix-mearm/
I have two suggestions:
  • add some washers to the gripper driving parts to align the parts nicely to the servo height
  • replace the base servo by a metal gear servo. This changes the entire stability of the robot significantly
I was also wondering if it would be useful to mount the arduino to the waist part, but that would add mass to the body and therefore destabilize the robot arm again.
If I mount the body on a stepper motor, the total costs go up a lot as the stepper, the driver and the end switches for the stepper position are more expensive than the entire arm.

Good kit! I now connect my three arms on one adafruit servo breakout to drive them simultaneously

Ciao, Mathias

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Wow Mathias! What a write up! I am very grateful. You are right about the washers, I have used two on one of my builds and it does greatly improve the gripper section. As for the metal gear servo it would be another good improvement but cost is obviously a little more. I'll do some sums and see what it would cost, other than that it can be a recommended upgrade to the kit.
Thanks again, beautiful instructions!

GastonLagaffe
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 11

Postby GastonLagaffe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 am

Salut,

I got the servoe for 4.78 USD so it is not such a challenge. However I agree that it would be best to offer it as an upgrade to keep the initial price down.

I currently work on a control software from the PC.

Ciao, Mathias

Return to