Unsoldering/resoldering?

This is the place for troubleshooting products! Do you have a common ground? Is that a dry joint? This is where we'll sort it!
Ttaskmaster
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm
LocationCOLON Reading, Berkshire

Unsoldering/resoldering?

Postby Ttaskmaster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi guys,

As promised, here's the first of my Noob questions...

I placed an order for some pre-built LED pattern circuits, built on basic PCBs, so I could study them and learn how they achieve their results.
However, I had to email the seller with my colour requirements, but the email did not arrive until after the circuits had been dispatched.

My question is - How easy/advisable would it be to unsolder the 5mm LEDs and put my own on instead?

Thanks,
Tasky.

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Unsoldering/resoldering?

Postby Rich » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 pm

I suppose it depends on how many LEDs you're swapping, how close they are together etc.

If you use a solder sucker and can't get all the solder off you can usually wiggle the end of the pin with mini long nose pliers to break the last bit of solder off.

Ttaskmaster
Mostly Harmless
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm
LocationCOLON Reading, Berkshire

Postby Ttaskmaster » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 am

Okey doke... Well, I completed my second Velleman kit just now and this one actually works, so I may well give the unsoldering a go.

Do I need to check anything specific about the type of replacement LEDs, or will typical 5mm ones from Maplin suffice, do you think?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 pm

As Rich says, a desoldering pump is fairly handy. We have them in store here:
Desoldering Pump
Wick is pretty handy too:
Solder Wick

The pump takes off the bulk and the wick is for the little bit that's left. Desoldering is a skill in itself and good to practice.

Return to