RTC Modules

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

RTC Modules

Postby phenoptix » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm building a couple of RTC modules, one based on the DS1307 like the adafruit one we carry and another based on the more accurate (and expensive!) temperature stabilised DS3231. I've only had single prototypes so far. This is v2 prototype of the DS1307

it's the first of our SMD component boards. The success of these will determine our purchase of a pick and place. For starters they'll be PnP'd by my own fair hand and baked in our AVR reflow oven (and that's not AVR as in the Atmel chips but Argos Value Range! (that said it's controlled by an Arduino)).
I've just sent the v3 off to Ragworm so should get it next week or early the week after. On the v3 I've moved the cap and shifted along the resistors and jumpers, as well as moving the jumper pads closer together, to make them easier to jump. Along with reducing the silkscreen footprint for the crystal - which is a high quality Citizen (yup the watch people!) crystal - this gives us more room for the silkscreen for the pinouts which are all important!
Image.
Files aren't on Github as yet but will be shortly.
Couple of the features I'm pleased to have added to this board are first - the dual pin arrangement, which mimics Adafruit's and Sparkfun's modules, they have different configs, but ours will replace either. Second they'll come with pull up resistors soldered in place but not enabled. I've put a couple of jumper pads that you can solder to enable them if you don't already have them internally on SDA and SLK.
Please let me know what you think. The PCBs will be made in the UK and we'll do all of the assembly in house.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

Re: RTC Modules

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:40 am

very nice indeed.
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Postby WKaibigan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Ben

Will it be using a battery like the Adafruit one?

Will the Adafruit code also work with your version?

When will the two versions be available to buy?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Battery - yes. Rear mounted.
Code, yup adafruit and all other DS1307 and therefore DS3231 code will work with it. Which is good as I suck at code!
Few weeks at least. However 5 of the v3 prototypes should be with me next week. Will solder you one up for testing!

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Postby WKaibigan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Great stuff.

Think I will need a RTC at some stage for the home control project I want to do.

Return to