Arduino AVR ISP

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Arduino AVR ISP

Postby WKaibigan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Ah Ok. That explains it. :D

Got the Cylon board built but it isn't behaving as expected. I am using the Larson.c code that is with the schematics on your Github. I assume you get the scanning effect when you run that software?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Think that code isn't right! Try the tiny cylon code with the pins from the larson code if that makes sense!

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Never mind, think I have found it,

Where can I find the Tiny Cylon code?

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Well the AVR ISP board has certainly got a workout :-)

Finally got the Larson Scanner working. Now to figure out what is going on and then try to modify the code for different effects.

Thanks again for the board. Think it will make a good learning tool for getting to grips with the AVR chips and also AVR C.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 pm

The real task for the cylon boards comes with the revision. The reason I upped the chip to the tiny2313 is that it was 4 pwm pins, which I thought were PB2, PB3, PB4 and PB5 which are the pins connected on the version you have and since you're in the same Port register (PORTB) the code works ok. However it turns out the 4th pwm is not PB5 but PD5. Which makes things far trickier (for a coding novice like myself!).
Glad that the AVR ISP has had a workout though. Have you been programming with the 6 pin header?

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:27 am

Not used the six pin header yet. Will have to put some headers on the Cylon board and give it a try. Would make programming the chip less of a pain than swapping it between boards.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Just tried using the six pin header and it worked like a charm. Powered and programmed the Larson scanner all from the AVR ISP board. So much better than constantly switching the chip between boards.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

That's great news, I had tried it quickly buy glad it works "in the wild" so to speak. The v1.1 has been laid out at the Pcb fab today so hopefully with me next week. All being well with that and once we finalise the Pcb colour we'll get the final (or at least first production) versions made. Thanks so much for all your help!

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 pm

No problem, glad to help in some small way.

Just to ease my mind that I am not going crazy, can you confirm that the button on the Larson scanner board isn't actually connected to anything?

Even though the schematic shows it going to the Attiny and ground, I can't seem to find any connection physically on the board.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Ah yes, on that version it's not connected but there are breakout holes to add it on! On the production version, of which there are 100 sat in China, it is wired in. Hopefully my last chinese boards!

Return to