Arduino AVR ISP

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Arduino AVR ISP

Postby phenoptix » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

A few of you will know that we're currently working on an Arduino AVR ISP (In System Programmer) built into an Arduino shield, using the Arduino as the brains. It's an open source project, as all our projects are and the files can be found on GitHub.
We have some prototypes available in our store if you want to get involved. V1 is on a green PCB - from Seeed Studios. Seems one trace is a little short and once again I've fallen foul of the KiCad LED curse where the solder resist isn't peeled back for the rear of the pad. Meaning a little scraping is needed. Pictures are below.

This shield works - with the AVRISP sketch on the Arduino IDE. However it will not in this current state with the standard code flash a bootloader chip. Which is a bit of a fail really. Fortunately Adafruit have solved the issue so you can, it seems, either use the oscillator from the Arduino or somehow software replicate the oscillator. In the Adafruit code they've used Pin9 - changing this to Pin6 for example doesn't work, as I assume that the pin has had some more funky settings added to it, which I would currently regard as magic, best left to wizards. However you can simply copy the code and add a lovely bodge wire for the time being from Arduino Pin9 to Pin9 on the ATMega328.

That allows us to burn bootloader chips with the Shield. So the next task will be to hardwire this fix to the shield and put another board in. The Adafruit code does remove the heartbeat LED though, so I'll probably tweak that back in because removing LEDs is NEVER a good thing.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Arduino AVR ISP

Postby WKaibigan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 pm

I have made the mod for burning bootloader and using Adafruit ISP software but getting the following error when trying to burn the bootloader

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Any idea what could be causing it. Have done search and can't find anything

Have checked Com port is correct and board selected is Uno so I am at a loss.

BTW is the picture of the pin 9 mod correct? Based on the pin numbering on the Uno headers, the header pin you indicate seems to be Pin 7

Cheers.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi

Just a quick update. I was using ver 1.52 of the Arduino IDE which was a beta. I tried downloading the release version (1.05) and it worked. Managed to burn bootloader to 328 then plugged it into the Arduino and uploaded Blink to it.

Think the Adafruit code may need tweaking for the LEDs. Not sure if you are getting the same but I didn't get any green light, got a constant blue which is fair enough due to the pin 9 mod and had flashing red led except during programming during which time it was off.

I can also confirm that the picture of the Pin 9 mod you have posted is wrong as it is going to the wrong pin on the header.

Anyway progress is being made.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm

I'll get a revised pick up, where the wire crosses the board is a bit confusing. Will update the PCB and schematic this evening too if I get chance. Thanks for joining us on the product development though. Now that's sorted I'll run another prototype board though then pull the trigger for the final version. Will also source some ZIF (Zero insertion force) sockets as they do make it much easier if you're programming a small batch of chips. They're expensive so we'll probably have two versions of the board. All you prototypers (three so far I think) will get the deluxe model!

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:02 am

What procedure are you using for programming the Attiny chips?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Fortunately in true blue peter style: Here's one I prepared earlier! Programming an ATTiny85 with an Arduino Uno
viewtopic.php?t=543#p1512

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Ah, so you aren't using the add-in files that you can get for the Arduino IDE as mentioned here http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695

An update. I have modified the board by cutting the track from Pin 9 to the current limiting resistor for the heartbeat led. Then did a wire bodge to link Pin 6 to the resistor instead.

I then altered the ISP code to make Pin 6 the heartbeat and also changed pin assignment for Programming LED to pin 7 instead of A0 that Adafruit had.

Seems to have worked and managed to flash a 328 and have pretty flashing lights. Green flashes during programming, Red turns off during programming and Blue does its heartbeat all the time.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm

I have used that method too, but not written it up. Great work on the LEDs, not got that far myself! Banging my head against the brick wall of making a Larson scanner that PWMs this evening by assigning the ports on an ATTiny2313. All good fun. Keep meaning to ask you WKaibigan how is Haverfordwest these days? Been a long time since I visited the George's

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Probably not changed a lot since you were here. Can be a bit of a warzone when the pubs close at weekends.

Like having a meal in the Georges now and again. Usually pretty good.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744

Postby phenoptix » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Must be 10 years or so since I was in HW, the food at the Georges was always pretty good. I had a girlfriend that lived on the Haven Road. Nice part of the world, lovely coastline.
No getting very far with this Larson code at the moment. Shifting bits is taking a while to get my head around.

Return to