Arduino AVR ISP

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: Arduino AVR ISP

Postby WKaibigan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:53 am

The beaches are definitely the best things about this area but you do need nice weather otherwise there isn't much to see or do.

Really have to havae a go at making a Larson scanner. Have seen a video on Charlieplexing so in theory could use 3 pins on tiny85 to control 6 leds.

I have had a look for Attiny2313s online and could see a number of different ones with various prices. Is there a specific version that is best to choose?

With the location of the IC sockets on the board at the moment, do you find that the pins on the underside of the board come very close to the top of the USB socket on the Arduino? I am having to place a piece of card between the two boards to prevent the pins from the 328 socket touching the USB socket.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I'll look to get some 2313s in the store. I have a stock for the upcoming larson scanner which uses 4 pins for 12 LEDs, I have some spare boards so I'll pop one in with your next order.
I had noticed that about the IC socket pins. Don't know whether to regig the board or ship with a bit of duck tape to put over the USB socket, quite a few shields short out on it.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for the offer of sending a board for doing a Larson scanner. Just so happens I've placed another order today. Have been interested in home automation so plan on having a go at making a system that includes environment monitoring and alarm. Going to start with the environmental monitoring bit.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:33 am

Giving a pad in the kit to avoid a short does't feel right to me Far better to have a well designed end product.

Looking at the board, any chance that the sockets can go vertical (90 Degrees clockwise) down the middle and the rest of the compnents/connections around them trying to maximise the free space under the board? Basically trying to use the free space between all the stuff on the Arduino board.

Maybe stick the 2 ISP headers (6 and 10 pin) between the USB socket and power socket,

Something I have seen about programming an Attiny 85 mentions having a 10 micro farad cap between reset and +V. Do you think it is needed in the design of this board?

Also what is the SMD area for?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:29 pm

You're quite right, better to have a well designed product. I've had a rearrange and sent off a prototype that will hopefully be back in about a week if Ragworm start production today.
This the 3D render from KiCad

The SMD area is for programming SMD Attiny85s amd Attiny2313s, we use them for the Tiny Cylon. You can just hold the IC onto the pads and flash the chip, works better and faster than an £80 socket!

I've not included the capacitor with the board as it's not really needed, as far as I understand it stops the Arduino resetting but that's been covered in code.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:26 pm

New layout looks good. The area over the USB socket is ideal for the SMD section.

Ah so that's what the SMD pads are for. That's handy as I bought some SMD Attiny85s from you recently. Now I have a way to program them :D

Do you have any data on these LED's that you sell? http://www.phenoptix.com/products/value ... lens-types

Am going to use them on the Larson scanner so want to be able to work out what value resistors I need to use.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm

It's fairly similar to where the SMD footprint is on the Arduino Protoshield, makes sense now!

I've just added basic specs for the value LEDs, all run at approximately 20mA. The Reds and Yellows run at ~2V and the Blues, Whites and Greens at just over 3V. Stick with those voltages and they'll last you a while.

WKaibigan
Below Average
PostsCOLON 23

Postby WKaibigan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Cheers for the info. Hopefully I have now picked the correct value resistors.

I notice that the pads for the LEDs on the bottom side of the board still had mask on them and weren't tinned. Just like with the ISP board. Is there common issue cause, if I remember correctly you said that the ISP board was done by Seeed and the Cylon board is done by Ragworm.

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Both boards have the same common part from the standard kicad library, for whatever reason the default doesn't pull back the solder mask and I'd not double checked it! The solder resist needs scraping off them. I do check for it now before sending boards!

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745

Postby phenoptix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Both boards have the same common part from the standard kicad library, for whatever reason the default doesn't pull back the solder mask and I'd not double checked it! The solder resist needs scraping off them. I do check for it now before sending boards!

Return to