Prints coming off my RRP Mendel 3D Printer

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Prints coming off my RRP Mendel 3D Printer

Postby vimes79 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey all,
For the time being while I get my new Blog/Build Log/WIP and projects site up, I will hijack this thread to post some of the cool things (and not so cool things) that I run off my RepRap Pro Mendel 3D Printer.

If there is anything on Thingiverse you would like to see printed then just post a link and I will give it a crack. Please no vases or giant stormtrooper heads etc.. They are very cool and I printed a Twisted Gear vase yesterday which used about 18-20m of PLA filament!
If it comes out ok and is reasonably easy to post then I will send them out if you want them.

The bed size is currently 210x210x110mm but once my extra 2 extruder/hot end combos arrive this week for Tri-Colour Printing and/or multi material printing it will knock it down to 185x185x110mm (which is still plenty big enough. Once I have some spare cash again I will be buying a bigger heating PCB, have a larger piece of 3mm Aluminium and Tempered glass cut so I can gain back about 20mm on the X and Y Axis to have about 205x205x110mm which will even then leave a little space along either side of the bed for wires and making it easier to remove the glass for acetone cleaning or Kapton taping.

My printer is just about perfectly dialed in now on all mechanical pieces and also temps, print head speed and extrusion speed so that if I ask for a 0.2mm layer with 2 perimeter walls 0.3mm wide each and 0.1mm gap between them, then that's what it will now accurately print.
Its been giving good results for a while now but now its producing almost perfect and flawless prints from 10mm cubes to big vases and such.

Once my multi head kit arrives I am going to set it up so that it runs 2 colours of PLA through the standard 0.5mm nozzles and the 3rd im going to fit a 0.28mm or 0.3mm nozzle to allow me to add finer detail to a model without having to change any settings or swap plastic and nozzles around.

Anyway here is yesterdays Twisted Gear Vase printed to 0.26mm layers with two walls 0.3mm wide and 0.1mm between. Its using Glacial Blue PLA which is a blue tinged transparent colour. It took about 2 hours and 40 Mins to print which is about 20 Mins quicker then a Rep1 or Ultimaker running the same settings,and model.

Please leave any feedback and ideas and feel free to request any prints as I need to do a good few more test prints. I have 12 different coloured spools of PLA and 5 of ABS.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

Almurray42
Competent
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:42 pm
LocationCOLON Bridgwater, Somerset, England
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Prints coming off my RRP Mendel 3D Printer

Postby Almurray42 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Wow! That vase looks incredible! Love how the light shines through it too!
[MOD IT] [OR BIN IT]

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah it looks really nice, especially in the day light as the two perimitor layers do a great job of producing some interesting effects even more so on the curved pieces. Its by far the best print I have done so far and its not even close to how thin I can get the layers and still looks great and has no visible stepping!
This is the results that make you remember why you dropped a wedge of cash and alot of time on a 3D printer and also the type of print that makes other people want a printer more too. It was after looking at a bunch of models like this on Thingiverse that I finally decided to commit to buying a RepRap printer kit.

Its really good quality PLA filament called Glacial Blue and is about 75% transparent, its a little tricky to work with as it is harder then the normal colours or metallic and seems to need a slightly higher temp of 200 degrees instead of the usual 185 degrees I use for the heating chamber to get the PLA out of the nozzle at a good temp, it means it stays molten a little longer so you have to slow your X,Y printing movement speed down which also means adjusting the flow rate from the extruder and needs lower temps on the heated bed all so it adds a tiny bit of time to the print so it doesn't warp or get squished as the nozzle comes round for its 2nd perimeter other wise it would drag on each layer and cause visible stepping and could even pull the model over at 90% or something and ruin hours of work.

Unfortunately I only bought 35m of it and have used about 20m so far, I should be able to get one more slightly smaller vase out of it and next week I will buy a 100m spool and possibly 50m or so of their yellow transparent filament.

I was a little dubious about transparent filament as I have seen some horrible results but this stuff is fine and works well with my printer, the only slight pain is having to tool any noggins or blemishes on the outer surface with my new toy the "Work Finisher" (Patent Pending US ceramic bladed tool - Google and check it out, its an amazing tool!) or any other de-burring tool or a dremmel with polishing wheel etc, as they all turn the nice clean clear finish into a white patch, but I found out if I use my Hot Air Solder Re-Work Station on it at about 185 degrees with about half air flow and the nozzle about 250mm back, you can just wave it over any re-worked or tooled patches and it makes them disappear in a few seconds as the very top layers go into a semi molten state and then re-set clear again!

I also have some dark blue slightly transparent filament with tiny flecks of Aluminium in it to make it sparkle (seriously small flecks that they say wont even block a 0.28mm nozzle, let alone my 0.5mm one) and also have some glow in the dark filament too so I want to do something with those two soon.

Im working on a piece for Ben for the Phenoptix Workshop with thier logo, name and tag line on but the new logo is a bitch to print as the pointy bits around the edge are so close together and require really fine extrusion on the points. I may have to go to my plan B if I cant get the result I want and a decent piece of 3D printing to decorate Phenoptix towers!
Last edited by 1 on vimes79, edited 0 times in total.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Also I got some 100mm wide Kapton tape last week and its made a massive improvement compared to the 40mm I was using as there are not loads of steps and breaks on the edge of the tape lengths going across the glass and its also a thinner and slightly more expensive make and it does really make a lot of difference especially holding the work down, its actually quite tough to get the work off the bed now where as with the tape I was using it would just release the work with a tiny bit of force which is why I had so many broken prints from the models coming un stuck during printing.
Its pretty amazing how 50-100 Microns can effect the end print so much!

Return to