CNC mill

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352
JoinedCOLON Sat May 28, 2011 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Sheffield UK

CNC mill

Postby dec0y7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:47 pm

As most of you will know by now i'm starting to built a small cnc mill based on the shape0ko.
its going to take some time but i will keep this page updated

to start with this is a bare buildlog.net stepper shield

sill to to get the components for it and the driver carrier boards im going to use the pololu A4988 black edition

we all should know what this is ;) seeepuino v3 from phenoptix here the brains of the cnc

and a new dremel 300, that will do the milling once mounted :)

ive still got load to get and do but next on my list is the components for the stepper shield

Resistor, 10k, 1/4W x1
0.1uF 50V Ceramic Cap x4
47uF 35V Electrolytic Capacitor x4
2x40 Pin Male Double Row Pin Headers
Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch x1
36 WAY SINGLE ROW PIN HEADERS x1
Arduino Stackable Header / Connector 8 Pin x4
4 way Screw Terminal PCB connector pin stackable x2
2 way 5.08mm PCB Screw Terminal x1
tis Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: CNC mill

Postby vimes79 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm

A few months ago I ordered a huge bag of Male pin and another of Female Pin headers from China, I think its about 2000 pins of each! Do you want me to post a few strips out to you?
It can end up costing a bit when your only buying small amount and these cost about £5 for both bags so its just penny's to me and im never going to use any where near all of them. Just PM me your address if you want some.
I can prob help you with the Resistors, Caps and the switch too as I have huge supplies of all of those in my storage racks, its literally just a few pence for me as I always buy bulk if I can to keep me in parts and keep the price down where it would cost a few quid to buy small amounts from somewhere and prob end up bulking out an order to £5 or £10 just to hit the minimum spend.

In fact the only bits I don't have loads of are the screw terminals and stackable headers. The double row males you can just solder in single rows side by side (as long as you just solder one pin on each and line them up nicely before doing the row).

Like I say, if you want them just let me know and PM your address and I will stick them in the post on Monday (I have a ton of used Phenoptix Jiffy bags that I can re-use so its just the cost of a stamp really and I just bought a sheet today for sending out Xmas cards)
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:04 pm

vimes79 wroteColonA few months ago I ordered a huge bag of Male pin and another of Female Pin headers from China, I think its about 2000 pins of each! Do you want me to post a few strips out to you?
It can end up costing a bit when your only buying small amount and these cost about £5 for both bags so its just penny's to me and im never going to use any where near all of them. Just PM me your address if you want some.
I can prob help you with the Resistors, Caps and the switch too as I have huge supplies of all of those in my storage racks, its literally just a few pence for me as I always buy bulk if I can to keep me in parts and keep the price down where it would cost a few quid to buy small amounts from somewhere and prob end up bulking out an order to £5 or £10 just to hit the minimum spend.

In fact the only bits I don't have loads of are the screw terminals and stackable headers. The double row males you can just solder in single rows side by side (as long as you just solder one pin on each and line them up nicely before doing the row).

Like I say, if you want them just let me know and PM your address and I will stick them in the post on Monday (I have a ton of used Phenoptix Jiffy bags that I can re-use so its just the cost of a stamp really and I just bought a sheet today for sending out Xmas cards)

Thanks for that its much appreciated PM sent

I've priced them all up on ebay it like you said I would end up with enough for 25 kits plus left overs.

I blame spelling errors and my writing skills or lack of...... On fred!!!!!! My blood clot (yes I really did name it lol)

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Yeah its pretty nuts, but its how eBay stores make so much money, sell small amounts of items that you would use alot in a single project for either a hyper-inflated price for singles or small packs or by only selling large packs, I have had no choice in the past and ended up spending £4 or £5 for a 2p component from Mouser or Farnell (But they have min spends of £10 and £20 respectively).

I will get all that off to you on Monday, I have everything except the screw terminals and stackable headers which I either don't have or don't have many of. I will put some spares in incase you break one or anything. The screw terminals should be fairly common on eBay, the stackable headers im not sure. I will check my spares drawers in-case I have some hidden somewhere from a project that never got finished or that I bought and never needed.
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:57 am

The screw terminals are nice and easy to get on ebay but like with everything you just said the stackable headers I've only just found packs of four but comes with 2x six and 2x eight so I have to get four packs and have 8x six left over.

I can see why the do it, no money in selling 1 when they can sell a pack.

I might have to do like you have and start stocking you on bits in bulk just so I've got spares for future things I may do.

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:39 am

Yeah its pretty nuts. I have thought about doing it myself before... Buy up a load of bulk packs from China or Taiwan - Caps, Resistors, Tranies, Cheap LED's, Diodes and break down bags of 1000 into 10's and 25's etc and also make up mixed packs of resistors and such putting 10 or 25 of 20 of the most used values in and knock them out for £7 or £8 per mixed pack (that would pay for 1000 resistors straight away from bulk suppliers in Asia!) And then other bits like switches, motors, pots and buttons (Stuff you only ever need one or two of) buy in bulk and split into packs of 1,2 and 5.
If you have the time and patience to spend night after night counting out tiny components then its well worth it! In a way, SMD components are alot easier as they come in pre-sealed strips of 500 or 1000+ on reels so all you need to do is cut the strips to whatever amount you want, even if you go over by one or two your only talking about 1/20th of a pence each or something stupid at bulk rates.

I have packaged your bits up and added the address to the jiffy.
I have thrown in a load of male and female headers so you should have more then enough there to do your single and double rails. You have had my last 4x 47uF Caps which was lucky as I didn't realise I was running low and I use those a fair bit so have ordered a new bag of 100 for £1.99 from within the UK and I wont be needing any before the new ones arrive.
The resistors I have put you a few in of 2 different ones, they are the same values but one sort are about half the size of normal ones and can be handy, I threw 8 in total in as its always worth keeping some 10k's handy, those as well as 220's and 330's are the ones I get through most by a long way and have a ton of. I put a spare switch in too just in case. The ceramics legs are a bit bent, they have most likely been in a breadboard at some point, I have about 30 or 40 of 0.1uF ceramic caps but they are all loose in a bag and the ones I have sent are some of the straighter of the lot, they will be fine.

I will get it sent in the morning, so you should get it all Tues or Wens.

If you need any more bits in low numbers just give me a shout, am always willing to help out if I can and it saves some one a few quid on a worthwhile build.

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks again mate.

I've got the time to sit counting out thing all day but I know phenoptix do sell some of them ie resistors etc so I wouldn't like to stand on their toes, but the idea is a good one as loads of people want just a small amount of components

Could be worth a site ;)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

Buzz me again in the week Matt, need to get some more of our unlisted stock listed!

dec0y7
Competent
PostsCOLON 352

Postby dec0y7 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Ok no problem I will.

vimes79 post come and I've got the parts on ;) so thanks for that, will post a pic tomorrow ;)

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:02 am

Sweet work! Looking forward to seeing it!

Return to