Aquarium Light Mk2 and other fishy bits.

Either you know what you're doing or you just want to get started. Post your builds and Works In Progress right here!
vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Aquarium Light Mk2 and other fishy bits.

Postby vimes79 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:53 am

Wow, yeah I know Westlands well. I almost ended up doing my apprenticeship there when I left school in 1996.
I went through the entire recruitment process for one of 10 Engineering Apprenticeships they took school leavers on for every year, (I don't know if they still do, maybe you did yours there?) I got down from about 500 or so applicants to the last 14 after doing 2 interviews, 3 or 4 assessment days (showing your skills through different tasks), 1 written test day and they then had 14 people to fill 10 places and so they did a 3rd interview and thats where I tripped up as I was so nervous as so much was on the line.
I ended up at Telstar Communications which is up on the Hounslow business park, and did my apprenticeship there although I had to do a period with Spectrum Electrics as we didn't do some of the work required for the qualification.

I live in Ilminster but am currently working in Bristol for a firm that sub-contracts mainly from Fujitsu-Siemens as well as Network Rail and The Highways Agency. We used to do alot of BT work too but BT pulled the plug and started using their own engineers more and in better ways to maximise work done by as few engineers as possible (ie: sending 2 engineers to do a job that they used to send 4 or 6 to).

Its a small world!
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 pm
LocationCOLON Crewkerne,Somerset

Postby bigal344 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 am

Ah, I used to live in Ilminster (at the Mead) and I did my apprenticeship at Glacier Metals (which is now Daido).
I've been at GKN for about 15 years now in the same place,very good job although the aerospace industry is more up and down that an Alton Towers Ride!!
I'm in Crewkerne and AlMurray on here is from Bridgewater, so not to far from us really.

Today I have been mostly Nyaning.

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 am

A very large amount of LED's waiting to be put in place, the marked area is where I want to have some amber ones to slightly change the colouring in a specific area.

Starting to stick them all in and holding them in place with some alloy plates, I again used the marine sealant on everything so as not to cause any problems with the water.

Oh well, time to start soldering I guess, positive ones first in groups of three.

My arm is starting to ache now.....

So as a break I made up some small brackets to hold the main conductor bars at either end of the box, these were drilled and then painted black.

These would provide the positive and negative feeds for both the daylight and nightlight circuits, upon thinking a bit more I changed the cables to a single stranded approach, which worked a lot better in terms of soldering and slightly less overkill!!

Feeding in the power supplies from one end, things are starting to get to the point that they could get confusing!!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm

WOW, Great job! and I thought finishing off adding and soldering the last 50 LED's on my LoL shield the other night was hard work... That gave me a seriously aching hand, yours must of been allmost numb connecting all those LED's up and must of taken a good long while.

This is a great build, am really looking forward to seeing it finished and running, its going to be awesome im sure!
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 pm

It certainly did leave me with an aching arm when I'd finished!!
All of the LED's are connected and working now, I'm just having a few issues with the circuit itself. :(
I've gotta find the time to sit down and run through it checking to see where I've made a mistake!!

xanthic
Above Average
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 am

Postby xanthic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 am

That's coming along nicely :) I'm only slightly envious of a proper workshop to build stuff!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
CONTACTCOLON

Postby vimes79 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 am

xanthic wroteColonThat's coming along nicely :) I'm only slightly envious of a proper workshop to build stuff!

I think we all are! I would love to have access to just a half decent mill let alone some of the other sweet tools I bet they have at Westlands. I REALLY wish I had gotten a place on that apprenticeship with them now! I was soooo close!
If won won some money on the lottery or inherit some money then I would rent myself a decent size unit, kit it out to the gills and open it up as a Somerset based Hackerspace... get a large vacuum mill like the one used on this project and a decent lathe as well as a good size laser cutter, a couple of CNC mills (one smaller precision machine for making all the small parts I have always wished I had my own mill to make and one large multi purpose one for knocking up large parts, Set a corner up for painting gear and powder coating equipment with full ventilation system, all the rigs, presses and cutters set up so they have alot of clear space and then have a huge Steel bench down one side with several work areas on one end then all the bench mounted tools inc drills, grinders and other fixed tools along with movable, re-fixable vice's and clamps set up on the other. Then a central area with the PC's and Control systems set up all nicely cabled into an overhead system over the entire shop along with a valve controlled airline system so that air tools can be connected at different points and the pressure directed to whichever area is in use. A couple of full sized Snap On tool chests fully loaded and rack upon rack of parts, small tools, equipment and everything else. Also if money was no object (since we are well into a few hundred grand already) then I would have a separate 'clean' room with smaller precision cutters and mills and of course a multi material sintering 3d printer, all the gear needed for precision PCB cutting, making and mounting inc micro/macro scope onto an HD screen for making and checking the tiny solder joints and pins etc, a solder reflow oven and a silkscreen printer as well as the Nvidia Tegra powered CAD server and workstation.
I reckon about £500k should cover it + rent and power costs per month which are likely to be £3-5k+ at a guess...
Ahhh its ok to dream I suppose :roll:

I don't know of any hackerspaces/makerspaces around here, its a shame, especially as there are already 3 of us just on this one small forum who all live within 15 miles of each other. I know at least 20 Engineers from various fields who also have engineering, electronic and programming based hobbies within Somerset and even more if you branch out to Devon, Dorset and Wiltshire.
:idea: What we need is a nice big corporate sponsor to buy us a load of equipment and machinery and a good central somerset location to base (Yeovil or Frome are good as they are central and on the 3 counties lines)

:idea: If anyone in Somerset/Dorset/Devon has a well equipped workshop that they would like to lend/rent out to a group of professional engineers a couple of nights a week then please do get in touch!
There is one in Bristol I believe but I have never been there and don't know what its like, has anyone else been to a S.W. UK Maker/Hacker Space?

Rich
Above Average
PostsCOLON 89
JoinedCOLON Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Chesterfield
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rich » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Erm.. I've got a mini lathe and battery drill in my garage if that's any good :-) oh, and a vice:-)

bigal344
Competent
PostsCOLON 426

Postby bigal344 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 pm

The whole thing is working as it should now, with both daytime and night-time circuits doing what they should.
However, there's a distinct lack of voltage to the LED's leaving them quite dim.
I've had to lower the values of the fixed resistors to get it working in properly in the first place. After this I have tweaked the variables to get things as bright as possible but they are still considerably dimmer than when fed a direct 12v.
Anyone got any ideas where to look or what i could change?

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 745
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 pm

What are you running it on Al? I've been meaning to get some power supplies in stock for ever. Vimesy has had need for a 2A supply for his printer too.

I think the nucleus of SomersHack are on the site now. DO IT DO IT DO IT. That should encourage you to start it! I'm quite pleased with the name too Somerset and Hack but also Shack is in there too. :D

Return to