Learning to Code!

Using and Programming Arduino and other microcontrollers
phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Learning to Code!

Postby phenoptix » Fri May 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Scrabbling around various learn to code sites recently I was surprised by the lack of good resources for learning to code. I wanted to get set up for Python coding on a windows machine and frankly found it to be a bit of a pain in the backside. I was spending a lot of time just finding out how to use the windows file editors, compile code etc and this wasn't the objective, it was to learn to code. I know I could have fired up a Raspberry Pi too, but I have a laptop and I like it! Fortunately before I gave up for good (or at least until the next time) I found codeacademy. Online resource with fairly good introductory tutorials. http://www.codecademy.com/
I'm on there as benoptix, you can probably add friends and stuff on there, so if you do try it please add me and let me know how you get on!

vimes79
Competent
PostsCOLON 152
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:02 pm
LocationCOLON Wells, Somerset, UK
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Learning to Code!

Postby vimes79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm

I can second that Code Academy is a fantastic project/website for learning to code in various languages, environments and lots of general help and info.

I have been doing the Python modules for a good while now, it was actually spotting one of Ben's Tweets that gets auto generated (if you want it to be) when you finish the basic intro into general programming module (Basically "Hello World"), that first identified it and I was intrigued as I too have been floating back and forth between websites and buying alot of books relating to programming with C type languages as well as Python. I had a pretty good grasp of the basics and how to put together simple scripts with hardware interaction and using multiple custom libraries that I learned a few years back during the 2nd Year of my 5 years completing my HNC in Engineering (Evening classes and lots of E-Learning having to watch many a pre-recorded lecture from the full time courses) so I had the basics for writing pretty simple software scripts and of course learned the most with the aid of my good old Arduino (The very first USB model they made) and a few other prototyping systems that had their own C based scripting and libraries. Also when the Pi first arrived I hit the ground running with Python having been a Linux user for many years prior.

I have recently just started with the intermediate PHP and a bit of basic Java as I wanted to make my upcoming website more interactive as it is all based around interacting with others and the interface I have designed for it still needs some work that if possible I would like to write myself rather then outsourcing.

Its the best E-Learning programming academy I have ever seen or used and has already boosted my Python skills alot to enable me to write some fairly complex Python code for hardware control and interaction but also learning to make scrips shorter and optimized so quicker and easier to write with the same end results.

If you haven't done it yet then get yourself signed up, its a great site and you will learn alot.
Supporter of Official Arduinos - BeagleBone - RasPi + EVE
-PROUD OWNER OF RepRap PRO MENDEL 3D PRINTER-
Current Projects : + Twitter Bug RGB + RoboBrrd UK #004 (Wireless IoT Brrd) + "Imp Print" +

Twitter Feed : Raw_Gaming

andycrofts
Harmless
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:50 am

Postby andycrofts » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Thirded! Working through Codecademy's Python course. It's brilliant! In my case I need it, 'cos I need to get smart with OpenCV and SmartCV* (CV=Computer Vision), hence, when my money hits PayPal,I can buy the Open Box pi/camera enclosure. Got the camera last week, but daren't connect it until it's safely stashed in a nice case - too fragile.
Grief, if the course is easy enough for a 57-year-old to manage it, anyone can.
-Cheers
-Andy, Oulu, Finland

*Application(s): Measuring fish...they travel past a window, after a hefty climb up the dam using the 'fish road' ("Oulun kalatie" in Finnish). I want to measure them, but unlike the present system, somehow identify their species. From that, I can deduce their feeding grounds before leaving the sea, and using 'Lateral Demographics' - posh way of seeing what happens over time - can work out if their main feeding ground is getting more, or less polluted. Yeah, well...I'm unemployed, nothing else to do... :cry:
Fish Road is here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFeC8ilPHsk
the camera needs to be in the observation room, to see this: http://www.oululehti.fi/etusivu/6357843.jpg

phenoptix
Competent
PostsCOLON 744
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:25 am

Postby phenoptix » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Wow what an application! Unemployed? You should be grant funded to do that.
Thanks so much for sharing it on the forum. Can not wait to see it in action.

Return to